Thursday, January 15, 2009

On Top Of The World

Thursday January 15th, 2009 - Sault Ste. Marie, MI

I’m getting spoiled. Yesterday I had the day off to get work done and today it was only a 50 mile drive to get to the next gig in way above average accommodations. I can get used to this. Tomorrow will be a marathon of battling the elements but today was a snap.

I feel like I’m on top of the world right now both literally and figuratively. This is as far north as it gets in America and symbolically I have made the climb all the way to the top. This is the very end of I-75 which is a highway I’ve traveled many times in my life. I have been to both ends of it and everywhere in between. Today I feel like I’m starting all over.

When I started out in comedy I was totally green with no clue of what to do and nobody to teach me so I started experimenting and stumbled my way up the ladder. I made lots of mistakes along the way and looking back on it now some really stupid ones. Still I figured it out and never gave up until I mastered the craft I set out to do so long ago. I’ve made it.

I made it on my terms that is. I did exactly what I set out to do and I did it well. I have a lifetime of sacrifice paid in to the dues bank and it has rewarded me with experiences that most regular people will never get a chance to enjoy. I earned my way up this long road.

The places I’ve stayed over the years haven’t always been as nice as where I am tonight. I have slept on couches and floors and in beds that have been fornicated on by whores and sailors and a whole host of derelict subspecies. I’ve even had to sleep in my car at times.

Still, comedy has been the one true love of my life. I’m still hooked after all these years. I love being on stage when it’s going well and that happens way more often than not these days. Even the bad shows aren’t always that bad even though the travel is getting very old very quickly. I still love the challenge of getting a group of strangers to laugh every night.

I’d love to make more money at it and do less hard traveling but I sure don’t ever want to have to quit doing shows because that’s been the highlight of my life. Last night a guy came up to me and said he was an aspiring comic in the ‘60s but never followed through. I could sense the regret in his voice and also the admiration he had as he shook my hand.

Money can’t buy that and never will. I have truly EARNED it and it’s a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. I feel like a ninja warrior or Navy Seal or something. It’s an elite crop of people that are few and far between and it’s an honor to walk proudly as a comedian.

I have no idea what’s going to happen with Jeff Foxworthy’s management people. I will do my very best to make a solid presentation of who I am and what I do and what I’ve got to offer. If they like it great. If not what can I do? I will focus on what happens if they do.

SOMEBODY with power is going to like me and see my ability at some point. I have to believe that and I do. Maybe I’m wrong and they won’t see it until I’m gone. At least I did this diary for a while so hopefully some other aspiring comic can be inspired to press on.

No comments: