Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wild About Harry

Thursday January 22nd, 2009 - Chicago, IL

Had lunch with my old friend Harry Teinowitz today. Harry is one of my all time faves and I hadn’t seen him in a long time. He’s on the air doing afternoons at ESPN radio 1000 but he was a comedian before that and that’s how we met. Everyone knew Harry. He is an outstanding schmoozer and I mean that in a good way. He’s just a friendly easygoing guy.

Harry was in the movie ‘Up The Academy’ years ago with Ralph Macchio and had that credit mocked by many comedians who were just jealous that Harry had a few breaks they didn’t get. Harry’s family is allegedly pretty well off and everyone always mentions that.

Personally I couldn’t care less and never did. Harry is just a great guy and I always have loved hanging out with him for him. Unfortunately it isn’t always like that and I saw how money can be a curse. People always want something and that isn’t fun. Harry doesn’t at all behave like a spoiled rich kid and in fact it was me that bought the lunch for us today.

Jim McHugh came along and he’s also known Harry for years and years. I asked Jim to arrange the lunch because I wanted to get back in contact with Harry for business reasons. One of his on air partners got fired this past week and he was a tyrant and a total ass. I can say that because when I was on the Loop that guy used to fire off nasty emails at us daily.

He was especially mean spirited and cutting and took it farther than the average piece of hate mail that I’ve grown so accustomed to over the years. This was different. Then when I found out it was him I fired back a few nuclear blasts that laid him and his whole family out and the nasty emails mysteriously stopped. He’s a bully and I can’t stand that mindset.

He was a bully to Harry on the air and apparently off too and he was not sad to see that the guy got gassed. I hope he has a new lease on life now and can enjoy his job. Radio is supposed to be FUN but so many times the minutia and idiocy are so thick that gets lost.

I’d love to be a regular guest on Harry’s show just like I am on ESPN 540 in Milwaukee with my friends Drew Olson and Dan Needles on ‘The D List‘. I don’t want anyone to get fired. All I want is a chance to add to the show and sit in and jam once in a while. I love it and hopefully it adds to the show too. The D List is always fun. Those guys both ‘get it‘.

Meeting up with Harry today was a smart move. He’s on a show that’s in transition that is on a sports station in Chicago. That’s my wheelhouse and I could totally contribute to a show like that. If I was on with Jim McHugh or other funny comics who know sports like Tim Walkoe or Larry Reeb or Bill Gorgo or a host of others it could be good for us all.

Either way it was fun to see Harry and hang out for lunch. We all made each other howl with sick and twisted stuff guys talk about and especially comics who are old friends. Jim is hilarious too and he’s the one I asked to set up this lunch because he talks to Harry a lot just as friends. Jim is setting up shows as ‘The Chicago Comedy All Stars’ and that might fit in perfectly at some point for teaming up with Harry for some kind of radio promotion.

No comments: