Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Best Times Two

Thursday August 26th, 2010 - Somewhere Near Honduras

   Finally! I knocked two killer shows out of the park tonight, and it feels like I conquered the high seas. I’ve been tentative and hesitant since I got out here, but tonight was my big breakthrough. Both shows were by far my best ever, but I’m sure not going to get cocky.

   Still, it was an electric feeling to let it rip for both the all ages show and the adult. It’s a different vibe for each one, and I nailed both of them tonight. I’ve had good shows before, but not this strong back to back. This gives me confidence for the times when I struggle.

   It’s probably useless to try and figure out the reasons for it, but I did anyway. This is my second time performing on Carnival Legend, and it leaves from Tampa rather than Miami like Carnival Liberty. I’ve heard people are friendlier on this one, but who can really tell?

   It sure felt like it though. Both crowds were into it from start to finish, and I could sense a buzz in the room before the shows even started. They wanted to be entertained, and I’ve never seen a bad show when that happens. I followed my instincts and gave my very best.

   The early show was actually a lot of fun. When kids laugh, it’s big and loud. They don’t hold anything back. That kind of laughter is pure and real, and there’s no feeling like it on Earth. For whatever reason, the kids and I bonded tonight and they got everything I did.

     The adult show was even better. The room was jam packed and even the standing room was full. There wasn’t a place to stand for dwarf, midget or circus freak. I was barely able to make my way to the stage when I was introduced, and that’s a super problem to have.

   I started strong and got stronger, so I decided to bring out my infamous closing bit that I haven’t been able to sell at sea so far. Not only did it sell, it absolutely killed. I got waves of laughter and applause, and barely had time to squeeze it all in before my time was up.

   I feel a nice rapport with the staff on this ship and they all gave me thumbs up and high fives. People lined up after both shows to get pictures, autographs and shake hands. These people are almost star struck with the comedians. That rarely if ever happens in the clubs.

   The other comedian this week is a veteran of the ships named Eddie Capone. He’s from New Jersey originally but lives near Miami now. He’s a total pro, and it was a pleasure to watch him work. His style is completely different than mine, but he had great shows also.

  His years of stage experience are very evident, and that’s something that can’t be faked. Just like an NFL quarterback, actual game experience has got to be earned by fire the hard way and Eddie has earned his for sure. He said he’s worked every one of Carnival’s ships.

   We hung out a little between shows, but I hope to get a chance to have a lunch or dinner with him and hear some of his tales of battle. I always respect a veteran of show business, and I can tell Eddie’s been around the block a few times. I’m hoping to pick up a few tips.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: