Tuesday, August 24, 2010

O Wallet Where Art Thou?

Wednesday August 18th, 2010 - Grand Cayman Island

   “Keys, wallet, phone. Keys, wallet, phone. Keys, wallet, phone.” It’s grown to become a daily mantra, desperately trying to remind my scattered self not to misplace any one of the ‘big three’ objects so crucial to daily life on this planet that create pure misery when lost.

   A month ago I lost my cell phone. It was 24 hours of torture until I got it back, but I did. Today I left my wallet in a cab. I’ve done that before actually, on more occasions than I’d like to admit. It just happens. Sometimes I’ve been able to get it back, but most - bye bye.

  Today, to make it even harder it was in a foreign country, and by all logical definition it should have been one of the bye byes. I landed on Grand Cayman Island to catch the ship I worked on my tryout with Carnival Cruise Lines, ‘Liberty’. It’s a major process to make it through security and customs and then get to the ship. There’s always some obstacle.

   Everyone always wants to see an ID or a boarding pass or get an employee number or a whole lot of other objects I’m rarely prepared for. It’s like a giant episode of “Let’s Make A Deal” and I’m waiting for Monty Hall to pop out at any time and offer me $50 if I have a kazoo and an extra $100 if I whip out a flugelhorn right behind it. It takes concentration.

   It doesn’t sound like a lot, but it really is. This whole travel thing is hard work. I had to be at O’Hare airport for a 5:55am flight so Jim McHugh was kind enough to help me out again. He’s not far so I can park my car at his house for free and he took me to the gate at 4:45am. That’s a true friend, and I totally appreciate him for doing that. That’s way early.

   There was an extra long line in security as they have the new x-ray machines to get used to, and that’s making it even more of a hassle. Shoes off, computer out, everything’s a big game of musical chairs and a total farce, but it’s part of traveling so I shut up and took it.

   The flight was totally full, and of course I was in the middle seat between some guy that wouldn’t stop talking and a black woman bubbling with attitude that seemed like she may start a race war at any moment. There was a mean energy off of her everyone nearby felt.

   I wasn’t looking for a race war or bright morning conversation. I just wanted to nod off for at least a little sleep and get to the ship. We landed in Miami and then I had to change planes for Grand Cayman Island. I had a window seat this time, but it was another packed flight and took forever to get through security, customs and all the other jumpable hoops.

   I did notice that Iggy Pop was on the plane, and he had to go through the line just as we all did. That made me feel a little better, but I don’t know why. He stood there with all of us and nobody approached him. I don’t think most people in line even knew who he was.

   With all those distractions, I guess I just wasn’t concentrating. I was lacking sleep, and I left it behind. The driver was kind enough to return it to the ship, and I have it back - ALL cash included. I caught myself a major break. Paybacks don’t always have to be a bitch.









No comments: