Friday, July 1, 2011

Dr. Funkenstein Calls!

Wednesday June 29th, 2011 - Cary, IL

   Getting out of the hospital feels like I’m starting my whole life over again. When I had my nasty car accident in 1993, I had just turned 30 and hadn’t really experienced anything major at that point. I was an up and coming comedian, and it took me out of the game for a few months, but I was able to come back from it and continue the trip. This is different.

   In the eighteen years since that accident, I’ve really grown as a person even though I’ve made some dumb ass mistakes I still regret. I traveled North America both as a comedian and radio personality, and learned to be a lot more comfortable in my own skin. I thought I was on a halfway decent path, even though I was scattered with my vision and projects.

   Now I have no idea what’s next, or what to expect. I’m at my friend Jerry Agar’s house for a few days, as he has a quiet guest room situation with a bathroom that has a fantastic shower of all things. I can really use that to clean my surgery wounds, and it’s a secluded place where I won’t be bothering anyone. The family is upstairs, and I’m alone to rest up.

   Getting regular sleep feels great too, but this morning I got a phone call that jarred me awake. It was a number I didn’t recognize, so I picked up thinking it was someone who’d need to talk to me about my health situation. I was still a little groggy when I said hello.

   “Hey, this is Carlon Scott with George Clinton!” the voice said. She’s the very nice lady who is George’s personal manager I met when I met George down in Houston a few years ago. She has since always remembered me and whenever I’ve requested tickets to a show she’s always come through. I never want to abuse that situation, and I really appreciate it.

   I knew George was performing at Summerfest in Milwaukee, and the whole time I was in the hospital I was hoping to be able to go see the show. I haven’t had a dose of funk in a while, and seeing George and the crew always cheers me up. That’s my Beatles, Rolling Stones, Springsteen and Led Zeppelin all rolled into one. Like who you like, I’m a funker.

   Carlon told me she’d seen my name in a Lake County Convention and Visitors Bureau magazine and instantly recognized it as being me. It lists my phone number so she called to say hello and invite me to the show in Milwaukee. I told her I’d love to go, but just got out of the hospital and wasn’t sure if I was up for it. She wished me well and we hung up.

   Five minutes later, the phone rang again and it was George! He just recently got out of the hospital himself, and we talked about that and also how I was working on a DVD for James Wesley Jackson. He thought it was a great idea and asked me to send one when it was finished, which I’ll absolutely do. He also invited me to the show at Summerfest.

   What a thrill it was to hear from Dr. Funkenstein himself. It was a big thrill to meet him when I did, but that was years ago. I really didn’t think he’d remember, but he totally did. So did Carlon, who’s also a sweetheart. It pays to advertise, because that one little ad in a brochure paid off. I appreciate all who called to wish me well, but this was a super treat.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: