Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Visit From Beyond?

Wednesday July 13th, 2011 - Cary, IL

   I had another one of my infamous ultra vivid dreams last night, and it’s been in my head the entire day. I’m a very sound sleeper and always have been, but it’s been even more so with all the medication I’ve been on in the last few weeks. For whatever reason, I can feel my dreams getting even more detailed than usual and I’m remembering them every night.

   The one last night involved Rick Uchwat, the recently passed owner of Zanies Comedy Clubs in the Chicago area and Nashville, TN. Rick was a huge mentor in my life, and was one of my favorite people, but I can honestly say I never had a dream about him before. It seemed odd to see him, and he had a look on his face like I interrupted his afternoon nap.

   He looked young and healthy in my dream, and he was in a group of people but walked over to where I stood and leaned in to speak quietly in my ear. He came super close, but I didn’t feel him touch me. I distinctly remember him asking “Hey kid, what’s with all this trouble going on? Are ya feeling ok?” It was exactly how I remember Rick’s demeanor.

   In my dream I told Rick about all that’s been going on with my diabetes and my stint in the hospital and how painful my surgery experience was, and when I did that all the other people turned around to listen along with Rick. I’ve never had a dream anywhere close to that, and it felt totally real as it was happening. It feels totally real now as I remember it.

   Rick gave me a look when I was done like “You got me here for THAT?” Then I heard him say “What the hell are you worried about? You’ve been through WAY worse trouble than this. There’s nothing to worry about, you’ll get through this.” Then he walked away.

   Maybe this is all a result of the meds I’ve been taking or my brain is turning into yogurt in my old age, but that sure felt like the Rick Uchwat I knew for many years, even though it wasn’t like we’d speak on a weekly or even monthly basis. I’d see him in person maybe only a couple or three times a year on average, but that was about normal for most of us.

   Most of the people in the Zanies family didn’t see Rick more than that, but we all loved and respected him immensely. That’s why it felt so odd to see him in my dream. It wasn’t like I saw him every day in life, and even though I was saddened by his passing, I’ve been busy with my own problems lately and hadn’t had much time to think about him at all.

   I’m not going to jump to conclusions and say I had an experience from the dead, but my research on the topic from hosting The Mothership Connection radio show suggests that a departed spirit can and does contact the living at times, and it usually happens in a dream.

   I don’t have any answers as to what this was or why it happened. Maybe it was my own mind telling me to suck it up and keep going, but what Rick said was 100% right. I really HAVE been through a lot worse than this in my life. If I made it through all the obstacles of my childhood, survived multiple car accidents, stayed out of prison and managed to get this far, I don’t think having to stick a few needles in my arm and eat salads will kill me.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: