Friday, July 8, 2011

Thumbs Up, Doc

Friday July 8th, 2011 - Waukegan, IL

  Much better mindset today, at least health wise. The only person’s opinion that counts at this point would be my doctor, and that’s who I saw. I was instructed to make a follow up appointment 5-7 days after I got out of the hospital, but of course there was the 4th of July holiday to completely screw that up and I had to wait several days longer. Just my luck.

   The doctor said I’m doing very well so far, but two weeks does not a lifetime make. I’m going to have to make a total commitment to getting healthy, or else. There were all kinds of diagrams on his examining room walls about the damage diabetes can do, and I’m not taking any of this lightly. The best way to lose a quick 20 lbs is NOT to amputate a leg.

   It really is a horrific disease, and the whole body is affected from eyesight to blood flow to sexual dysfunction. I already seem to have that - apparently it’s my personality. This is nothing to play around with, and I’m not. I’m going to get off my ass and get in a groove.

   I followed the doc’s orders by cataloging my daily blood sugar readings, and he looked at them and said most people don’t follow through so I was already a step ahead. I want to stay that way, and I told him I wanted to be a model patient by which others are inspired.

   I really do want that. If there’s anything good that can come from it, maybe I can help to raise awareness that we’re a nation of balloon asses who are only getting fatter and sicker. It used to be just my home state of Wisconsin, but now there are hippo hips coast to coast with no end in sight. Crap food is cheap and readily available, and it tastes so damn good.

   I’ll admit, I got hooked for a lot of years. Part of it was my hectic road lifestyle, but part of it was also me not giving it a second thought. I got sucked in to the convenience and to exercise wasn’t fun. Before I knew it, bang - the double whammy. It’s time to turn it back the other way and get healthy, and I totally intend to do that. This is the fight of my life.

   The doctor said he would like to see me off insulin completely in six months if possible and that will take hard work. He told me to walk a lot, which I am, and start doing things like pushups and sit-ups. What? I can’t remember in which decade I did my last pushup.

   That’s going to be a tough one, but I’m going to give it a shot, even though I’m sure my first few will be flaming examples of just how out of shape I really am. I hope I don’t tear anything in my chest or break my front teeth out falling flat on my face, but if he says it’ll help me beat this I believe him. My goal is to be in the very best shape of my life at 50.

   My friend Mark Napoleon called to say hi. He’s a radio traffic guy in Chicago and used to be my partner when we did a morning show on a country station in Kenosha, WI many years ago. Mark is also a diabetic and gave me some great tips and said I’d be able to get through this, especially with all the other stuff I’ve overcome in my life. Between the doc and Mark, I’m very encouraged and am ready for this most serious challenge. The stakes are high, but if I win it means a better quality of life. Then, my luck I’ll get hit by a truck.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: