Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mountain Don't

Saturday July 16th, 2011 - Cary, IL/Fox Lake, IL

   I’m starting to become my own full time job. Between educating myself about diabetes through books and websites, taking time to really watch my diet and forcing my fat fanny outside to exercise every day, I’ve got all I can handle. It’s going well, but it’s a big effort.

   Who the hell would need to read a food label? That’s what I thought forever. If it tasted good and I felt like eating it, that’s what I did. Fat? Sugar? Sodium? Carbohydrates? Who cared? Not me, and neither does most of the rest of America. I for one am changing that.

   I’m learning that I can have about 35 grams of carbohydrates total per each meal. That’s not very much, and I really have to be careful when I eat anything. I’ve been checking out labels of every single morsel I put in my pie hole, and it’s a big time learning experience.

   I checked out a 20 ounce bottle of Throwback Mountain Dew, something I used to scarf down frequently. That’s the one that’s made with pure cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup that’s used today - which is supposed to be hellish on our innards. I was blown away that the carbohydrate count for one bottle was 73. Wow! I never knew that before.

   I’d more than doubled my recommended limit for an entire meal with just the beverage. That didn’t include any kind of chips I might buy to go with it, and I often did. I loved all of them from Doritos, Cheetos, Fritos and just about anything else that ended in an ‘o’.

   That didn’t even include my self suicide ‘main course’ - sometimes one but more often two or once in a while even three sodium soaked hot dogs loaded with sugary condiments all on a white bread bun, which didn’t help the situation along. That was a typical ‘meal’ on long road trips because it was cheap, filling and unfortunately absolutely scrumptious.

   I can honestly say I would NEVER consume any of that now, and after only a few short weeks of my new health direction it repulses me to even think about putting any of those things in my body. I still have a long way to go, but I’ve sure come light years in a hurry.

   It’s amazing how one can dive into a subject that was previously untouched and learn so much in a very short time. Less than a month ago, I had less than a hint of a clue what my blood sugar level was or what my target numbers should be. Now, I check it twice a day.

   This morning it was 111, which is a whole lot better than the 250s I averaged during my stint in the hospital. When I got there, it was in the 500s. I really have come a long way in a very short time, but I know I’m just getting started. This has got to be a life long project, and I’m totally fine with that. If I do this correctly, my 50s can be my healthiest decade.

   I used to watch Jack LaLanne on TV (probably while eating a bratwurst) and he’d often say “It’s never too late to start.” Well, I’ve started. And what’s frightening is - I really like it. I feel myself improving daily. I met with my home nurse for a final visit to be released from care today, and she said I was the most motivated patient she’s ever seen. And I am.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dobie - I love your motivation. We've all had the wake-up call, one way or another. Mine occurred when I saw a videotape of myself at Taste of Chicago. That's when I decided we all have an image of ourselves of what we looked like in high school - and we somehow think we still look that way! When I fall off of the good diet wagon - it's back to Jenny Craig to learn portion control and what I should be eating. I was so proud yesterday because the thought of a potato chip repulsed me (just as you mentioned in your blog). I knew my efforts to cut down salt were working! It gets really fun. You will feel younger and younger!