Saturday, July 2, 2011

Gospel Gratitude

Saturday July 2nd, 2011 - Cary, IL

   One of my many personal paradoxes is that even though I’m having severe doubts as to the existence of a God per se, or at least the one I had rammed down my throat in church as a kid, I find myself absolutely loving gospel music. Unfortunately in that world, gospel means ‘black’. If it’s a white artist, they’re ‘Contemporary Christian’ Sorry, I like gospel.

   There’s some heavy duty soul and emotion going on there, and when it’s on target I get chills down my spine. Some of the greats I love include Walter Hawkins and his ex wife Tramaine. She’s got one of the most amazing voices ever, and her power could blow the glass out of a 747 at 30,000 feet. Find the song ‘Changed’ on You Tube and buckle up.

   Andrae Crouch is another one, along with The Mighty Clouds of Joy, Albertina Walker, James Cleveland, Teddy Huffam and The Gems, Jessy Dixon and others. Walter Hawkins and The Hawkins Family would be my very favorite. He’s the George Clinton of gospel.

   No matter anyone’s beliefs, it’s just amazing music. There is such a deep soulful vibe to the songs that they’re almost hypnotic. They soothe the soul, and I hate to say it but I have not heard any white artists who can hold a candle to it. Go see a top level black choir and tell me white people have any rhythm at all. Maybe a couple here and there, but very few.

   I know I don’t, but I sure do appreciate the genius of Walter Hawkins. He unfortunately passed away last year at only 61, but his music will live forever. That guy had ‘it‘, and I’ll always be a fan just like I am of George. There’s a distinct style there and it’s all his own.

   One song in particular has always intrigued me. It’s called ‘Be Grateful’, and it’s one of my favorite songs of any kind I’ve ever heard. It’s got a haunting beat and cuts through to the quick without frills. The lead singer is Lynette Hawkins-Stevens, and her vocal wail is perfect for the song. I heard it one time when I was about twelve, and I‘ve loved it since.

   For whatever reason, that song kept playing in my head today. I’m not near a stereo and I don’t even think I have the song on CD. I just know I love it, and the message is so clear nobody can miss it. No matter what happens, always give thanks for whatever is good.

   That’s what I did all day today, and I meant it. Yeah, I’m in a bit of a rut, but it could be a lot worse. I’m grateful for Jerry Agar and his family for taking me in and letting me rest. I’m grateful for the home nurse that came over and told me she thought I was doing great.

   My friend Tim Walkoe called from the road to see how I was, and I totally appreciate it.
Tim has a giant heart, and is one of my favorite comics on any level and a great guy also. He cares about people, and in my opinion should be a huge star. I’m delighted he called.

   I’m grateful for everyone that’s called or sent an email or Facebook note, and no matter if there’s a God or not, they’ve all got giving hearts. More and more that’s what I find life is really about. It’s all about what we can give, and I want to get well so I can pay it back.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: