Thursday, June 7, 2012

Nietzsche's Niche

Wednesday June 6th, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

“And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night.

“Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

   Freddy! Where have you been all my life? I think I’ve found a kindred spirit. Of course I have heard his name, but before today I never really knew much about Friedrich Nietzsche except that he had a goofy looking mustache and his brain was pickled with syphilis. That description could fit about 90% of the biker slugs my father used to associate with, so I never pursued his legacy.

   Nietzsche was one dark bastard apparently, and I watched a half hour video about him today as part of an email subscription I get from a website called www.ForbiddenKnowledgeTV.com. It’s packed with fascinating videos about everything and anything from UFOs to conspiracies to lots of other interesting subjects – like Friedrich Nietzsche. I was absolutely fascinated by this video.

   The unfortunate common thread I’m seeing that exists in most really dynamic creative types is that they’re all too often not accepted by their immediate circle of contacts – and more than a bit crazy to boot. Then, to top it all off, they aren’t recognized until after they die. Who wants that?

   The list is vast and includes names like Beethoven, DaVinci, Poe, Van Gogh and a crap house of others – Nietzsche included. The video talked about how he rented a plain modest cabin from some farmer in Switzerland, wrote most of his books there but was never popular while alive.

    I looked up a bunch of his quotes and a lot of them knocked me on my ass. They spoke to me as if I had sat in the guy’s chair in that cabin and wrote it myself. I’m not going to flatter myself to think I have half the brain power of a Nietzsche or any of the others on the list, but I sure have the crazy part down. If nothing else, I’m of that type and can totally relate to his thread of ideas.

   Will I ever get famous or be appreciated in my lifetime? I guess it really doesn’t matter. I have little to no control over that, so all I can do is be true to myself and my vision of what I think my life should include. Creativity and kindness are two major ingredients, and I don’t want to have it any other way. Money would be a kick, but I don’t think I’m ready to sacrifice those other two.

   I’ve had all kinds of wonderfully encouraging words from all kinds of people I didn’t expect to get them from, and it feels great even though I know most of those people can’t relate to why I’m in such a funk in the first place. That doesn’t matter. I appreciate the kindness. It’s just been hard for me to see that I touch anyone at all in a positive way. Those few that I’ve pissed off so deeply tend to take center stage and I’m unable to digest any good. Thanks to all who have reached out.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

1 comment:

Princess RuRu said...

the documentary on Nietzsche was interesting. I do not agree with all of his philosophy, but through struggle and hardship a lot of good things happen. I wish climbing to the top of the mountain were easier, and some people just give up before they get there and find contentment with the views from the lower spots on the mountain. Someone who is truly ambitious will never give up until they get to the top most point. It may take an entire lifetime to climb up the mountain, but it it's your goal, then there should be no issue. With perseverance comes success. It's the only logical conclusion. Nietzche sounds like he needed to get laid though, seriously ... he needed to get laid.