Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pyramid Power House

Tuesday June 5th, 2012 – Wadsworth, IL/Milwaukee, WI

   I need a few days to just let my brain air out a little. I’ve got so many precarious projects piled so high on my plate I can’t even find the plate anymore. It took a very long time to get this way, and there’s no easy way to fix it. I wish I could wipe the slate clean and start over, but I can’t.

   I’m in a tight spot, but who isn’t these days? The world is changing by the day, and we’re all in a similar situation. What used to be rock solid and able to be counted on no longer works the way most of us are used to it, and that’s the way it is. Like it or not - and I don’t – reality doesn’t care.

   Life of late is a chess game, and I feel like I always have to be thinking several moves ahead to try and keep as many of my pieces on the board as possible. That takes focus and a lot of energy, but then there’s also a Monopoly game going on at the same time that I have to play whether I’m up for it or not. I’m always paying rents, bills or fines of some sort, and it’s hard to manage it all.

   Quite honestly, I don’t know what would be more helpful than a steady stream of cash. Is that a shallow request? Maybe. Is it going to make me happy? Of course not, but I think I’m basically a pretty happy person – at least when I get a chance to be creative on my own terms. That’s all I’ve ever wanted, and I still do. Just let me be free to follow my creative urges with all of my energy.

   When I don’t get that, I’m miserable. And lately I’ve been more than miserable. That’s not the way I think life should be, even though I know millions of people are more miserable then I have been lately because they never tried to chase any creative vision. At least I did, but it’s on hiatus.

   I had a wonderful opportunity today to do something I’ve wanted to do for decades. There’s an amazing structure in Wadsworth, IL called The Gold Pyramid House, and someone pointed it out to me many years ago. I always love things that stand out and are different, and this is definitely that. If you’ve never been turned on to this, check out their website at www.goldpyramid.com.

   A guy named Jim Onan and his wife Linda built it as a private residence in 1977. It’s as unique a structure as you’ll ever see – especially in Wadsworth, IL. It’s an actual gold pyramid, and they still live there today. Their son Rocko gave me a tour along with Jayne Nordstrom of Visit Lake County and another lady Jayne was showing it to for a future group tour. They let me tag along.

   Something like this is exactly what I needed today. Wow, what a fun experience. Rocko knows his stuff backward and forward, and it was entertaining and educational to learn about everything from the structure itself to Egyptian culture. I found myself fascinated from the first minute I got there, and there’s also an exact replica of King Tut’s tomb on the property we got to tour as well.

   The whole time I was walking through this spectacular attraction, I was thinking that Mr. Onan had the freedom to chase his creative vision and look what came out. Brilliance! It blew me away to see what could be created with the combination of creative vision, resources and action. That’s the kind of mindset and people I want to be around, and I could feel the creative energy flowing.

   My friend Mark Gumbinger called to ask me to go to the Brewers/Cubs game in Milwaukee to relax a bit, and that was fun too – even though the Brewers lost 10-0. It was still nice to unwind.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: