Friday, June 8, 2012

Richard T. Crowe

Thursday June 8th, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

   I received some very sad not to mention shocking news today that Richard Crowe passed away from complications of pancreatic cancer. He was a ghost hunter, entrepreneur and frequent guest on The Mothership Connection radio show. I was fond of him personally and professionally, and had no idea he was even sick. He was just on the air with us live in studio only a few weeks ago.

   We always looked forward to having Richard on with us, as he’d usually show up as a package deal with our other Chicago area paranormal friends Karen Uchima and Grant Wylie. Karen is an expert on dream interpretation, Feng Shui and several other topics and Grant is a master psychic.

   Karen and Grant have also been on with us often and it has developed to the point where we all go out for dinner before the radio show. We don’t do that with all our guests, and in fact there are very few. But they’re such nice people; it’s become a tradition whenever they’re on. They drive a long way to get to Kenosha, and it’s much more relaxing if they get there early and have dinner.

   Richard became part of that caravan a while back since he was from Oak Lawn on the far south side of Chicago, and would tag along with Karen and Grant for dinner. He was a fertile wealth of knowledge and fascinating stories about all kinds of subjects in and out of the paranormal realm.

   I remember sitting mesmerized at dinner several times while Richard entertained us all with his big booming voice that made the rest of ours sound like baby sparrows chirping. It wasn’t all that long ago, and that’s what makes it so chilling. He never once mentioned he was fighting cancer.

   What’s unbelievably disappointing is that I never got a chance to experience one of his famous ghost tours, for which he was most well known. He was an outstanding entrepreneur, and carved out a fabulous niche for himself by doing tours of Chicago’s haunted spots. He was featured on a variety of local, national and even worldwide media, especially around the Halloween season.

   We had spoken often of having a listener tour, but never did get around to doing it. I really did intend to make it happen, but unfortunately life just gets in the way sometimes. Now it’s too late. I’m sure we would have had a fantastic time, and hopefully even made it into an annual tradition.

   What a shame this is on many levels. Here’s a guy who really found his stride in life, and there is no way he’ll ever be replaced. His was a totally unique contribution, the kind that once is gone is gone forever. And now his is. And I’m very sad about it. I’m even sadder I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye. I didn’t think there was a reason to, and looked forward to many more meetings.

   Once again, this is a stunning example of how life has no guarantees. It could all be over for all of us at any time – myself included. All the good intentions in the world won’t be able to change that fact, and like it or not we get what we get. Personally, I don’t like it - but I can’t do anything except deal with it and remember that every time I cross paths with someone it could be the very last time that happens. My first reaction is to be even nicer to people, especially quality examples like a Richard Crowe. The dinners and radio shows we had were fun, and I’m sorry they’re over.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

1 comment:

Princess RuRu said...

Dobie - I am sorry to hear about this loss, seems like I just said that recently for John Fox and now someone else. I can't imagine what this is like. I have not been alive long enough to have lost very many people and the ones who I do know who died, they were old and it was simply there time. It's not fair when someone dies so young. Sometimes I want to stay in my house and not meet anyone else for fear someday they will die before me and I would have a lot less heartache ... the more people you know (this is such a scary fact) the more people who you will see die. Again, my deepest sympathy to you and to this mans family who he left behind.
Ruth Ruhnke