Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Disturbing Developments

Sunday October 21st, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

   What is wrong with this planet? Yet another psychotic wackadoo flipped out and walked into a beauty salon in the Milwaukee area with a gun today and went on a shooting spree. He ended up killing his wife and two others who worked there, wounded a few more and then killed himself.

   This really disturbs me on so many levels I don’t know where to start. First off, why did it have to happen in the Milwaukee area? They just had another horrible killing spree at the Sikh Temple in Oak Creek a few months back, and that was painful enough for the city to have to go through.

   Whether I live there or not, Milwaukee will always be my home town and nobody wants to see their home town’s image tarnished with such ugliness. It’s bad enough we had to have the scar of Jeffrey Dahmer upon us as Milwaukeeans for twenty plus years. I still get that thrown in my face on the road constantly, and I can’t believe how fresh it is in people’s minds all these years later.

   That was an especially extreme case, and it got worldwide attention. For whatever reason, what he did and how he did it captured people in such a way it stuck with them forever. They knew his name immediately, and they know it now. He’ll be infamous for generations like Hitler or Lizzie Borden or Jack The Ripper, and that’s how it is. The victims are forgotten but the scum lives on.

   This particular case doesn’t appear to have that kind of media staying power, and that disturbs me in a different way. It’s not that I want a publicity campaign for the son of a bitch, but we as a nation have seen this kind of thing so often in the last twenty years it’s hard for it to have impact.

   We see it on TV constantly for a few days, and then it’s replaced by another horrific story that gets milked dry. It takes the humanity out of it all, especially with the victims and their families. I heard this maniac and his wife have a daughter, and that really bothered me. What about her?

   I wish I could find her and give her a hug and tell her it’s going to be alright – but it isn’t. How is she supposed to ‘just get over it’ and build a life? Nobody ever talks about those who have had to endure situations like this, and my heart totally aches for them. They’ve got big time baggage.

   What’s even worse are the innocent people who just happened to be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. How is anyone supposed to protect themselves from that? It’s just a matter of someone’s number coming up, and it could come up for any one of us at any time. That’s scary.

   What frustrates me most is that the lowlife pukes who pull these stunts always off themselves in the mix so they don’t have to face the consequences of their actions. If they want to blow their heads off, fine. I don’t have a problem with that, but why take out innocent people? It’s a waste.

   I couldn’t help but think about this all day today and it makes me sick to my stomach knowing I’ve tried to get known for making people laugh and I have to fight and scratch for any little bone of publicity I get but this kook bag flips out and gets on national television. This world is wacked and getting wackier by the day. My heart goes out to the innocent ones who were victims today.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: