Thursday, September 6, 2007

Back In The Movie Business Baby!

Wednesday September 5th, 2007 - Arlington Heights, IL/Lake Villa, IL

I really need to move closer to Chicago. I was up late last night hanging out and had an appointment this afternoon not far from where I was last night so rather than drive all that way back home to Lake Villa I just got a room at the Motel 6 a couple blocks from where I was supposed to be this afternoon. It’s deductible because it’s for business so I did it.

It’s living way up here in Hooterville that’s the issue. For now. I’ll resolve it one way or another in a few months so I won’t have to do this anymore or if I do I’ll at least be living in a place where I am not roaming around in a basement like a daddy long legs. I took this deal on the cheap and that’s how it is. It’s not a bad place at all, it’s just not for me for the long run. I thought I’d have a few months to save a few bucks before it started to be a big inconvenience. Not so. I’m in the city a lot teaching classes at Zanies and meeting friends.

I have friends up this way too but the ones I hang with down there are comedy people in the city and I love Chicago. I’m equally distant between Chicago and Milwaukee but to be in Chicago will do me a lot better career wise than Milwaukee. That and I just don’t like it up there for personal reasons. I have way too many unpleasant memories of Milwaukee.

I want to move on with my life and go there when I have to work and keep it positive if I can. It really is a nice city in many ways and I’ll always love it on some level because it’s my home town but I really couldn’t see myself living there ever again. Actually I should be in Los Angeles rubbing elbows out there but for now being based out of Chicago works.

My meeting today was with my writing partner Rick Kaempfer. Rick has been working all summer on his own project which has been very successful. ‘$everance’ is the book’s title and it is about the huge business of corporate broadcasting. Rick was the producer of Steve Dahl’s show in Chicago for years and also John ‘Records’ Landecker’s before being ours at the Loop when I worked there. We stayed friends and I’m glad we did. He is about as laid back a guy as I’ve ever met and we mesh very well creatively. If you want to check out his website please do. www.rickkaempfer.com. Please let him know I sent you. He has a daily blog too but it’s a lot different than mine. He writes columns and has guest blogger people once in a while too. I’ve been one of them a few times but don’t worry. It’s not the same as my daily ramblings into the insanity of show business or my own personal torture.

He’s gotten four offers for a movie deal and that’s great not only for him but it could be for me too. Or for us. His connections in Hollywood could turn into ours very fast and we could have a customer for our movie script and we need to get it FINISHED. We talked a little about our personal lives but the main reason we were there was to rekindle our script project and get it completed so we’ll have something to give someone in Hollywood when he meets people about his own book. This is all starting to come together and it’s exciting.

I can feel things rumbling around me like never before. I have felt rumblings but this has a certain feel to it that the others didn’t. It feels like I am about to have the tsunami of life hit me in a positive way for once. I can’t put into words why I feel this but I absolutely do.

No comments: