Friday, September 7, 2007

Comedy Class Memories

Friday September 7th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

Yesterday I was all pumped up because I had a ton of things to start working on. Today I did NOTHING to make any of those things happen but it was still a very positive day. It started with a lunch meeting with one of my former students named Phil Gordon. Phil was one of my very best students ever and has stayed in touch like so many of them often do.

I’ve been teaching classes since 1993 and have well over 1000 people who have taken it. I started out in Milwaukee at Cardinal Stritch College co-teaching with a lady who used to book comedians. She was an alumni of the school and asked if I’d teach a class with her.

I didn’t know how to teach a class and didn’t really think it was possible to teach anyone to be funny but I needed money desperately at the time so I said yes. I’m very glad I did. It was a wonderful experience and I discovered that I was able to communicate what I knew about performing and writing to others very effectively and they wanted to hear about it.

We taught several classes and then I moved on to become the exclusive teacher for all of the Zanies clubs in Chicago where I have been ever since. I pour my heart and soul into all my classes and I have learned to really pack a lot of information into every session. I try to improve my skills by taking any other classes and seminars I can and that helps me grow. I spent a lot of years working at this to perfect my own system and I need to advertise that.

One thing I haven’t been good at is making money with this. By the time I split the fees with the club and my friend Warwick who handles all the administrative stuff I will clear a couple of bucks but I’m not getting rich on it like most people think I am. I teach the class because I enjoy it and I feel like I’m able to give something back. The thrill of teaching is a wonderful feeling and when someone comes back years later and tells me it was one of the best experiences they’ve ever had I am very moved. It happens quite a bit and I’m touched each time it happens. Helping people live their dreams is almost as good as living my own.

Phil Gordon is on a golden list of people over the years who have really used the class in the capacity it was meant to be used. He developed his five minute routine and then had an opportunity to perform it at a live show at Zanies in front of friends and family of students. Those shows are AMAZING and I never get sick of hosting them. The people love all the performers and are surprised at how good they actually are. I work hard to make sure they are all prepared and do my best to bring out the strengths in each student. I love to see the results on stage when even they are surprised by how well they do. I enjoy that process of getting them ready because it involves individual interaction and each student is different.

The main thing I can offer is encouragement. Doing standup comedy is a VERY difficult process that many people want to attempt but have no idea how and where to start. I have been through that myself and seen hundreds if not thousands of others go through it too. It can be very intimidating especially when a person is all alone so I try to make them not get overwhelmed by it all. I walk them through the steps and am right there with them and it is almost like a big brother helping a kid cross the street for the first time. I like to be helpful.

The truth is most people never take it much farther than the classes. The format has been tweaked over the years but the basic plan is to get them ready to perform a live graduation show in front of a real audience. It’s an adrenaline rush for sure and the look on their faces after the shows is priceless. It’s like a combination of the best Christmas ever and the first time they had sex all rolled into one. If I can help provide an experience like that I’m for it.

I try to make them feel special and tell them I’m proud of them and that they did good at something and all the other things every kid wants to hear from their parents. I never did. I know many of the students never did either. To see them come through the stages from an absolute beginner to going up and doing five minutes of comedy is quite a transformation.

Many times that’s all they need and they feel like they accomplished something and they did. It’s only a few that take it any farther and try to make comedy a career. Tom Clark is a kid who did that. He took the very first session of classes up in Milwaukee and now he’s out in LA doing very well. He’s headlining clubs all over and has done a few TV slots too.

Vince Carone is another kid out of Chicago that’s doing very well. He’s hungry and has a very bright future. He’s 24 and a good looking kid and will get on TV and make it click. I hope he remembers me and lets me drive his limo when he makes it big because he will. I love it when some of these guys come along because I can see the big picture before them when even they can’t. I just try to encourage and be there to help them get it all started.

Frank Caliendo was a guy like that. He opened for me his first time on stage when both of us worked at a bowling alley in Waukesha, WI. Frank worked at a batting cage and had a few impressions and knew a friend of mine who set up the show as a benefit to raise cash to send his son’s little league baseball team to some big tournament in Ohio or something.

I agreed to do the show as a favor to my friend and Frank was the opener. He was green but his impressions were dead on and the crowd loved him. He came up to me afterwards and I told him ‘Kid, a year from now I won’t be able to get you on the phone.’ He had ‘it’.

People always ask me if I’m jealous of Frank because he’s ten years younger and has an impressive resume of national credits and makes probably ten times what I make or more. No way. I’m not jealous at all. He does a TOTALLY different act than I do and I can’t do that. Not a lot of people can. That’s why he gets paid so much. People enjoy impressions and he’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. I wish him continued success and always will. He’s done quite well for himself and maybe someday down the road he’ll throw me a bone.

Even if he doesn’t I’m still happy for him. I’ll still do what I do and also teach classes. If I can keep finding Phil Gordons and Vince Carones and Tom Clarks I’ll be very proud. I’ll keep doing it as long as people show up and we’ve got another full class starting Monday.

Phil was thrilled to have the lunch and I helped him get a plan of attack and his energy is contagious. He’s got a future even though he’s older than me. There’s just something he’s got that makes the difference - passion. He has fun and it shows. I love that. I always will.

No comments: