Sunday, September 16, 2007

Power Pack

Sunday September 16th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

My addiction continues and today I got another fix. The Green Bay Packers won and all is right with my world. All is not right with THE world, but mine is pretty good today. It’s stupid and I know it but I really do feel good when they win. I feel especially good that the game was a blowout and now they’re 2-0. I know I am in for a slap when they lose but for now things are quite peachy. They won their final four games last year to close out a weak season. They look way better this year and they’re starting to make some positive noise.

None of this matters in the scope of things in the real world and I know it but I still have a broad inner grin knowing a bunch of millionaires I’ll never meet won a televised contest with other bunch of millionaires who happen to live in New York. My bunch just happens to work in the same state where I grew up but that’s about all we would have in common.

There’s something magic about seeing that ‘G’ on the helmets and I am right back in my childhood in the ’70s watching them get pounded every week and feeling emasculated. If I would have spent as much time studying business administration as I did rotting in front of a black and white TV in my grandparents’ basement watching Packer games every Sunday in the fall I would probably be financially secure today and not running around the country like a gypsy trying to shake a few sheckles out of the local comedy club owner. I’d be set.

I’m sure Timothy Leary’s life would have been different too if he hadn’t have licked that first hit of LSD. He’d have been boring and a non entity and I wouldn’t be thinking of him as a reference of someone who is over the edge and walking the line. Too late now. He’s a marked man. I am too. I wish I never would have licked the first hit of Packer acid but I’m hooked for life. I wish the season could end now so I could have my nerves back but I will not be that lucky. There are 14 games to go and then hopefully the playoffs. PLAYOFFS?

I was driving back from Toledo and didn’t get to watch the game but I got updates from all kinds of people both Packer fans and not. Bears fans wanted the Packers not only to be defeated in a football game, they were hoping for another 9/11 that would have wiped out the stadium during the game. Brett Favre has destroyed the Bears over his career the same way Walter Payton mopped up the floor with the Packers. These are lifetime memories for us but I know it doesn’t mean a thing in most of the rest of America and NO other places.

I highly doubt the people of Uruguay or Guatemala got to see even one play of the game today and their lives are not any worse off for it. They’re still living in mud huts eating bug stew and drinking rain water. And that’s Christmas dinner. A bratwurst would probably be disgusting to them and if they did eat one they’d probably use yellow mustard and pick off the sauerkraut before they ate it. Savages. Some people in this world are still uncivilized.

As for me, I enjoyed my ride back from a great week in Toledo. I took US 20 and had a low pressure cruise through the back roads of America in the Cougar. It still runs without a glitch and I have gotten my money’s worth and then some out of it. I love that silver tin can. Next week it could blow up and the Packers could lose but today all is on the good.

No comments: