Sunday, October 14, 2007

Football And Loud Babies

Sunday October 14th, 2007 - Washington, D.C./Lake Villa, IL

Packers WIN! Bears LOSE! Which is sweeter? Who cares? Which part of the Reese’s is sweeter, the chocolate or the peanut butter? It doesn’t matter. They go perfectly together. I had an early flight home and was tired when I got in so I ended up sleeping away most of the day. I really needed the rest though so I don’t feel bad at all. This was a quality week.

I was awakened out of a sound sleep by a loud cheer from a large group upstairs. I have always been a sound sleeper my whole life but this one was LOUD. The person who owns the house had a bunch of people over to watch the Bears game. I can’t believe I live in the same house as Bears fans but cheap rent is cheap rent. Plus I’m hardly ever here so it’s not too annoying, except the times like last Sunday when they all cheered upstairs as I had the horror of my life unfold before my eyes in total silence. Today it was sweet payback time.

When I woke up and heard them cheering I knew the Bears had done something good. I didn’t listen to any games as I just didn’t feel like it today. After that Packers lost like they did last week I am a little cool on football for the moment plus I have other things to do.

Since I was awake anyway I turned on the TV just in time to see the Vikings nail a long field goal to kill the Bears in the last second. I wanted to jump up and holler but I knew all the people upstairs would hear it and I didn’t feel like meeting them that way so I shut up. Then I saw the other highlights and heard the Packers won a tight game and life is peachy.

Packers win. War in Iraq is still going. Packers win. People are still dying of horrible and incurable diseases. Packers win. Marriages are breaking up and families are being ripped at the seams. Packers win. Starvation is ravaging millions of people around the world. How a football game can make so much difference when all this other stuff is going on is amazing but it does. At least around these parts. Bears fans are feeling low and Packers fans are on a huge high but in the scheme of life none of it matters. But I have to say I still feel great.

I needed a boost after my flight home from Reagan National Airport in Washington. The flight was at 6am and that’s never pleasant but it was full of screaming babies and none of the parents could shut them up. One in particular that caught everyone’s ear was a Satanic little red headed demon who had obviously been fed way too much sugar and would NOT shut up. He was uncontrollable in the security line and ended up on MY flight. Of course.

The parents were a fat greasy unkempt biker with a ponytail and a tattooed road pig that I wouldn’t want to be naked near even after a few years in a Turkish prison. How they had to pick each other to fornicate is beyond me. Neither one of those two had red hair either.

The kid was in line screaming at the top of it’s little impish lungs and I turned around to try and stare them down but they were oblivious. Finally I said ‘Hey Rosemary, can’t you shut your baby up? It’s 5:30 in the morning.’ A couple people laughed out loud, a couple more smiled. Still more looked down at the ground not wanting to get involved. She gave me a dirty look and the kid still screamed on. I sure hope the little bastard was a Bears fan.

No comments: