Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Psychobabble Calls

Tuesday October 2nd, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

Time is starting to get crowded. I better nip it in the bud now or it will get out of control again. I have too much to do in too little time but it sure is fun stuff I’m doing. I am doing exactly what I enjoy but I’m getting scattered. I need to reel it in a little more and be smart with time management. The reality of 24 hours in a day is not making it easy to keep up.

Today I intended to get a lot of work done around the house but didn’t do a damn thing. I got a call from Marc Schultz to go to lunch and I said yes. Marc and I always have fun at our lunches and we do occasionally talk business which we did today. He has a plan to get more corporate work and needs me to make a tape that shows I can work in that arena. It will pay better but I’ll have to adjust my persona on stage to do it which I am able to do.

After lunch I was fully intending to come back and get something done but the call came from Mike Preston asking me to bail him out of a cancellation on his TV show. It’s always fun to be on Psychobabble so of course I said yes. I’m only off tonight this whole week so he lucked out. I know what it’s like to have someone cancel on me so I’m glad to bail him out. I’ve been on the show under many circumstances but tonight I played a nut character.

His name is ‘Joe Stradamus’ and he’s a distant descendant of Nostradamus but he didn’t get the full inheritance of the gift of predictions so he’s a ‘partial predicticator’. The fun of it all is that Mike is so loose with it. He asks what the character is and what if anything he might ask or add to make it work. Other than that it’s up to me to try and find some funny in there somewhere. I’m pretty quick and can usually pull something out and I also wrote a few ideas down and we went in and it was a funny segment. I liked playing such a goof.

It reminds me of when I used to book pro wrestling shows. The good guys were always the biggest weenies outside the ring and the bad guys were the nicest. I can see why acting is such a popular career choice because it allows a person to be someone else. I don’t have much acting experience and really don’t have a desire to be an actor but once in a while to play a kook on the Psychobabble show is a refreshing night of something new. It’s a gas.

I am also booked tomorrow and Thursday in a couple of Wisconsin gigs I didn’t expect. I had planned to go to Milwaukee and see George Clinton at the Northern Lights Theatre. I haven’t seen George perform live in a long time and am going through funk withdrawal.

The show is in Janesville and starts at 7:30 so hopefully I can head up there and catch at least the last few songs. I emailed George’s manager and she said she’d leave tickets at the door for me and a guest. I was going to go with James Wesley Jackson who used to be the opening act for George for years but he can’t make it either. That’s just how it works out.

I was going to use these few nights to work on my business idea and my act and also my bookings too. I am behind on booking gigs and that’s another whole skill in itself. I did get a weekend in the Washington D.C. area for next weekend so that’s a good thing. My dates are filling up slowly but I’m at least getting work every week. I’ll be ok the rest of 2007.

No comments: