Monday, October 29, 2007

My New Direction

Sunday October 28th, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

Another jam packed day. For a dead guy I am pretty swamped. I slept on the notion that my career as a comedian is dead and I still think that’s the right mindset. I will still do a lot of shows and work when I can but in my mind I am an entrepreneur first. I need to put my finances in order in case I make it to old age. Doing what I was doing wasn’t the answer.

Parliament/Funkadelic was the musical empire that George Clinton spearheaded back in the ‘70s. It had a fantastic run and spread over several record labels over several years but there was a time when it had to end. By all accounts it was a final show in Detroit in 1981. After that show they all went their own ways and that was it. Everybody was frustrated.

George was broke and in litigation and it looked pretty bleak but that’s when he decided to reinvent himself. He couldn’t use either name Parliament or Funkadelic so he just began recording under his own name and cranking out new products. He kept evolving and had a second career that is still going today. He never quit touring and recording but he did have a change in his perspective and that’s where I am right now. George was successful for his second go round even longer than his first even though the first time had more impact. He was wiser the second time and used what he learned the first time to keep it all rolling.

The same is with me too. IF something comes along in comedy I will take it but it isn’t a life or death situation any more and I won’t do a lot of the stupid things I thought I had to to keep my hopes alive of that mythical guy hopping out of a limo and making me a star. It doesn’t happen that way and I have learned a lot of other things too that can help me now.

Between my business idea of selling funny stuff online to teaching comedy classes online to releasing the cds I recorded earlier this year I’ve got more than enough things to do that will keep me busy. In the next ten years or less I need to earn the money that will last me a lifetime. How long will that be? Who knows but I will plan on living to at least 100. If not I will donate whatever I have to a worthy cause. I just don’t want to be trying to get a gig in Kalamazoo for $200 when I’m 88. I want to be sleeping on my mattress filled with loot.

All I can think about is this business idea and I love it. It has rejuvenated me and I work on it in my head all my waking hours. I have told quite a few people so now I need to have it trademarked and protect myself. I am starting out as a newbie in this endeavor and I will without a doubt make some stupid mistakes just like I did in comedy but I got over those.

I will do the same with this too. I’ll surround myself with smart positive thinking people and grow my expertise in their presence. I will work hard and pay attention and grow this into something I can be proud of. I am excited and I just feel a wonderful adventure about to begin. Comedy can be a part of that but it’s not the first and foremost like it has been.

I’m exploring a new area now. I have lots of experience and yet I’m brand new all at the same time. It’s a conscious shift and I relish the new challenge. I can already feel the vibe of excitement come over me and my passion and enthusiasm will help me see this through.

I had three meals today with three people I like and trust. Breakfast in Milwaukee was with my old friend Greg Chadwell. I’ve known him since we were cooks at a place called Rustler Steak House on South 27th Street in Milwaukee. Greg is a couple years older than me but he is also a dented can. He came from the projects and worked like a dog to get his life going and he surely did. He was a good father to four kids and is good with his money.

He has rental properties and works at a bank approving loans but before that he worked as a car salesman for about twenty years. He ALWAYS worked hard and never whined of his bad luck and I respect him very much. We had a fun chat and ate at a place right across the street from where the Rustler used to be. Both of us have chosen to pursue success.

Greg had some solid advice on a business level and he said he would help me however I needed him to. And he will. When I needed a place to stay right out of high school he gave me the number of his future father in law who had a room for rent. I still owe him for that.

Lunch was with my former student Vince Carone. Vince just turned 25 but was only 19 when he took my class. I could see a spark in him then but he had a long way to go as we all do. It takes YEARS to develop as a comedian and he is really coming along nicely. He is way smart and a fantastic marketer and is doing a lot of things correctly. He released an outstanding DVD that has a spectacular package and he’s on his way. I’m proud of him.

He gave me a signed copy of it and I was very flattered to see my name in the credits. I try to help all my students but when I see ones like Vince really putting it together I have a special feeling of pride attached. He’s WAY farther than I was at 25 and he will hit the big time in one way or another. I can just feel it with him. He’s got talent and drive and is not afraid to invest time and money in himself. He’s going to do something big, I predict it. He has a sharp mind for marketing and was in a band for a while so he understands the game.

Dinner was with Jerry Agar and he and his wife Ann had some good solid ideas for me. I am taking notes and keeping track of it all. I have plenty to do and will work on getting an attorney this week so I can trademark or copyright my idea so I can finally write about it. I don’t want to have to keep calling it ‘the idea’ but until I am protected I will shut my yap.

I have never had such a good feeling about anything I’ve ever done in my life. No matter what problems or mistakes I make I will see this through and make something good come of it in the end. I talked to my friend Max in Springfield for about an hour and he said he’s cheering for me and will help me however he can. I know he will. I’d do the same for him.

Spike Manton and I are going to meet up tomorrow for just a few minutes to talk over a few things before I sign any rights over to his PR company he has with Jeff Schwartz. The smart thing to do is develop this a little on my own first. Everyone who releases an album thinks it’s going to be ‘Thriller’ and everyone that opens a business thinks it’s going to be Microsoft.

Neither is usually true so what comes of it when it just sits there? I need to get more of a plan going first and we can talk about working together later. I’m in a positive mindset and am rested and ready to let this thing rip. I hope I can keep it under control.

No comments: