Thursday, October 25, 2007

Playing The Palladium

Thursday October 25th, 2007 - Brookfield, WI

I’ve worked some nice places in my day but I think the one this week tops them all. That includes Caesars Palace in Las Vegas and any comedy club I’ve ever played. This joint is a dream gig and I wish I could record an HBO special here. I’m working at the Palladium at the Majestic Theatre in Brookfield, WI. They opened in May and started comedy shows to complement the movie theatres and the first weekend they booked Kathleen Madigan from Last Comic Standing. I’m friends with Kathleen and she loved it here. Now I can see why.

It’s probably the nicest movie theatre I’ve ever seen and to have a separate live theatre is a brilliant idea in my opinion. I heard they open it up for Packer games and sell lots of beer and food and that’s a fantastic idea. Whoever is behind this is very smart and I hope we’re able to put some fannies in seats. That’s what it’s all about no matter how nice a joint it is.

The business is what matters though. I need to learn how to pack a room but it may be a bit difficult this week. It’s technically Halloween weekend and that’s never a good one for comedy as a rule. People go to costume parties but usually not comedy shows. Once again Mr. Lucky’s timing kicks in but there’s nothing I can do but give my absolute best shows.

I’m having a little bit of an issue from my past as well. I have had some problems with a couple of morning radio shows here that have been on the air forever. When I was back at WQFM in 1991 I used to snipe them on the air all the time like a bad guy wrestler. I don’t have anything personal against those guys and never did but they didn’t feel the same way. They have NEVER had me on their shows and said they never will. I think it’s a bit much to hold a grudge that long and I truly am sorry if I offended them but I’m still on the outs.

I think everyone has burned a bridge or two in life and it’s how one reacts to it that tells what kind of character is inside. My grandfather always told me when I made a mistake to claim it and go to any person that was affected by it and sincerely apologize. If they don’t accept it then it’s not my problem anymore. It’s not easy to admit you’re wrong but I do.

That’s a great lesson to learn in life and I’m getting a lot better at it only because I have made so many mistakes in mine. The problems I had with Dave Luczak at WKLH were an eternity ago and the ones I had with Bob and Brian from Lazer 103 were even longer than that ago. I have tried many times to at least end any hostilities but they won’t accept it and none of them will have me on the air when I’m in town. They’ll go out of their way not to.

I was supposed to be on Dave and Carole’s morning show this week because the theatre is running ads on the station but got turned down because ‘they don’t have enough room’. Right. I know that’s not the case but to fight it won’t change the fact they can’t stand me. I would go on the air and apologize for anything I did that made them angry years ago and be the nicest guy in the world and that would be it. I could add to their show and be funny and it wouldn’t do anybody any harm. Hey, they still have jobs. I got gassed back in 1991. That’s not the issue I guess and no matter how long ago it was they haven’t forgotten. I’m sorry it’s got to be that way but it wasn’t my call. I wish the whole thing could blow over.

But this is only one town and I don’t have problems like this anywhere else. I will just be happy to be working this week and not wish anything bad on anyone. If I see Dave Luczak or Bob and Brian I will go up to them and look them right in the eye and apologize for any wrong they think I did to them and stick out my hand for them to shake and try to make it right. I already have tried to make it right but they all blew me off so what else can I do?

I can focus on what’s going well and that’s a lot of things. I got an email out of the blue to call my friend Jim Mickelson out in Salt Lake City. Jim worked as music director at the radio station I worked at and for years we’ve talked about starting a comedy record label. I think I could put together some quality recordings from obscure comedians the public is not familiar with - myself being one of them. I know I could hand pick some funny talent.

Well lo and behold Jim was talking to a friend of his who is in the music business and he said ‘Remember that idea you had to start a comedy record label? I think I’ve found a guy you can sign as your first act. I heard him on XM Radio and his name is Dobie Maxwell.’

I laughed when I heard it and Jim said he did too. The guy laughed when Jim told him I was the other guy who wanted to start the label with him. I know I am in rotation on XM because many people have told me they heard me there but this could lead to good things. The guy is apparently high up in the music business and wants me to send him a package.

Whether anything comes of this or not it’s still a reminder of how things can happen in a blink of an eye. All I need is ONE person to like what I do that has power and I can be on my way. I’ve been searching for that person my whole life and haven’t found him or her as of yet so maybe this is it. Or if not this guy maybe he knows the person I’m searching for.

I will be ready when my break comes. It HAS to be getting close by now doesn’t it? I’ve been slugging it out for so long that I feel like something has to happen soon but I guess it doesn’t. I am not a typical case scenario in a lot of ways so we’ll see how it all turns out. I can only control certain things and in recent years I’ve been making some good decisions.

Tonight’s show went very well. I’m working with my old friend Tim Marszalkowski for another week of ‘Pola-palooza’ shows. I say he’s Polish and I’m bipolar so that’s where we came up with the name. Actually the booker wanted us to do a theme show because it would look good in the flyer and asked if I knew any Polish comedians. Alas, here we are.

Tim brought his family out and they all had a great time. His brother and mom and two of his daughters were there and at the end of the show I paid a special tribute to Tim’s dad who passed away recently. His dad’s dream was to see Tim and me play at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas but never got the chance. When I got to play Caesars last year I dedicated it to Tim’s dad and his whole family heard about it and they were thrilled. I love doing that.

This will be a fun weekend. I’ve got a lot of people coming out to see me and I will give it all I can and let it rip on stage. I will keep doing what I’m doing and I know inside I am not the evil ogre Dave Luczak or Bob and Brian think I am. Can’t we all just get along?

No comments: