Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Power Lunch In Chicago

Tuesday October 30th, 2007 - Chicago, IL/Lake Villa, IL

I can feel my new direction starting to take off. Lots of things are bubbling in a way that will lead to my whole life changing. Time is a continuing issue and I will be careful for the rest of my life how I use it. The clock is ticking and time is a factor. Before I would waste it without thinking but now I can see that it’s a precious commodity that is slipping away.

Jerry Agar, Bert Haas and I have been meaning to have a lunch for weeks. Jerry wants a chance to do live comedy shows at some of the Zanies clubs and I think it would be a very good idea for everyone. Whether I’m on the shows or not doesn’t matter. This is an idea I know will work and everyone can make a few bucks. Plus it will promote comedy as well.

Let’s see, getting on WLS in Chicago regularly isn’t a problem but getting on at WKLH in Milwaukee once a year or less is. Huh? That’s radio. Plus, it’s personal too. Jerry is my friend and Dave Luczak isn’t. That’s life. I’d much rather be on a huge station like WLS.

I picked Jerry up and we met Bert at Zanies and went over to O’Brien’s to eat. That’s a place that’s been in Old Town for years and years as has Zanies. Bert is well known there by the owners so our service was even more fantastic than usual. That’s the places I like to frequent and we had a fun time and a delicious meal. Jerry pitched his idea to Bert and I sat and ate my lunch as it took place. I love to bring two parties together to make a deal.

Jerry had a dental appointment out in the suburbs and I told him I’d drop him off instead of him having to take the train. I stopped off at his house to say hi to his son Tanner who’s 15. He absolutely LOVES my business idea and he and I sat down and brainstormed for a while and he was shooting out some very interesting ideas. He is in an age group of people who could be a big customer base and I sat there and listened to him talk. I learned a lot.

The secret to this business idea if there is one is to just keep doing the right thing when I have a chance and the cumulative effect will eventually take place. I’ve already taken a big step by contacting a lawyer and attempting to make this a legitimate legal business entity. I got an email from him today saying they were able to find only one other guy with an idea similar to but not that much. Mine is WAY more elaborate and planned and I will develop more products than just the one that he has on his site. I want to make this an umbrella for ALL things funny and that could entail a lot of things. I am still in the beginning stages.

One thing that won’t change is that I’ll still get to be funny. I will be writing jokes and it might be in a different format or for a different audience but it’s still the writing process. I have been using it and improving on it my entire adult life. I’ll need to refocus my mind to write for products rather than a live audience. The process is the same, the results are too. It’s just different to put the joke on a shirt or a cap rather than recite it live to an audience.

Dealing with lawyers doesn’t thrill me nor does making shirts or hats or stickers but the idea of making something from nothing absolutely does. I am on the road to getting it off the ground and by this time next year I should be getting ready to have a big sales blast.

No comments: