Tuesday, October 2, 2007

New Car Tunes

Monday October 1st, 2007 - Lake Villa, IL

New month, new stereo. I took the Mitsubishi to the Best Buy in Gurnee today to have a stereo put in it. The original one didn’t work and I don’t know why. When I turned it on it lit up and I could see numbers but no sound came out. I know I like to drive with it off a lot but I also like to have the option of listening to something to make my drives bearable.

I’ve had several stereos put in my auction rat cars at Best Buy and it’s a sweet deal. It’s around $100 for a brand name unit that has a CD player and I’m good to go for road trips. If the engine blows and I have to leave it somewhere it’s not the end of the world if I have to lose a $100 stereo. I don’t understand why anyone needs a $5000 car sound system.

But then again I don’t understand why anyone needs a $5000 car. I’m happy with going to the auction and fishing out the jewels but that’s me. I’ve grown accustomed to it now. I would still do it even if I had a million dollars. There’s something fun and satisfying to buy a running car for under $1000 out the door and put several thousand miles on it. I love it.

There is something to be said about enjoying life. The idea of life being not getting what you want but wanting what you get makes a lot of sense to me as I get older. I still want a few things I haven’t gotten but as far as my car situation goes I’m ok with it. It’s growing into a part of my persona. People I haven’t seen in a long time ask ‘What car this week?’

I enjoy my car adventures and what’s wrong with having fun? Teaching comedy class is fun too and tonight we finished up a beginner session. There are some interesting students in this group and it was fun to watch them go up and take their first crack at going solo. It is a delicate situation because I have to rip them and stop them from developing bad habits but I also want to encourage them and keep them interested. It’s a fine line and I try to not crush their hopes before they even start. But what I tell them is right and they need to hear it at some point. Bill Gorgo sat in this whole session and he also made comments as well.

Bill and I have a good synergy in teaching and I like having someone else to add input to the mix. I never had to be the only authority and it’s fun to take someone’s raw talents and help shape them into something tangible. Bill enjoys it too and we had a productive class. I know they got more than their money’s worth and nobody got cheated. It was a win/win.

After class I didn’t have to host the new talent showcase because there wasn’t one. I felt like I was cheating someone out of a work day because my Mondays are usually so tightly packed but it felt good to have a little time off. Bill and Warwick and I decided to go get a nice meal and relax a little. Red Lobster sounded good to all of us so that’s what we did.

I love Red Lobster. Seafood is my favorite and they just do it right in my opinion. We all ordered the endless shrimp and loaded up until we could barely walk. It was a blast and no huge chunk out of the wallet either. Whether I ever get rich and famous doesn’t mean this stuff can’t be fun. I left Red Lobster and got in my auction car with the cheap stereo and it sounded fantastic all the way home. Simple pleasures are best and today was full of them.

No comments: