Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Man Of Auction

Wednesday May 21st, 2008 - Waukegan, IL

The last thing I needed to do today was buy a car at the auction in Waukegan. So that’s exactly what I did. I read an article where small car prices are going nothing but up in the current gas gouge and I took a chance and bought a clean little honey bun I hope to resell.

I found a 1994 Toyota Tercel that was extra clean and had a one owner title. It’s a great little runner and I got it for a steal at $700. With auction fees and a title I’ll end up paying about $1000 for it but I didn’t think it was a bad gamble. I won’t be greedy and if I get an extra couple hundred bucks I’ll sell it. Someone will need a gas sipper and this will be it.

The feeling of finding a car to rescue off of the dung heap at the auction never gets old to me. I don’t know why I love it so much but I do. The only reason I even went at all was the weather was too nice to sit around the house. I wanted to get outside and get exercise.

I did get a brisk three mile walk in and broke a nice sweat. I’m starting to enjoy the time walking because my mind is producing all kinds of sharp ideas. It used to be my best spot for ideas was in the shower. That’s where I came up with the Uranus Factory Outlet idea.

Another time that’s always been productive is right after I wake up. Even if it’s only the shortest of naps I always have ideas flowing at that time. I’ve learned to write them down and now I’m going to start bringing a notepad and pen along when I walk. I’m feeling it.

It’s only been a week or so since I’ve consciously started to eat better and exercise more but I have noticed significant improvement in how I feel. I’m eating salads and fish and as hard as it is I’m avoiding Pepsi, Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper too. I haven‘t croaked yet.

I wasn’t even looking to buy a car today but when that little roller skate caught my eye I knew it was a good deal. I’ve bought so many cars at this auction I just know when it’s an excellent buy and this was it. Nobody else really wanted it and I felt it was a smart move.

It did use up my very last emergency money though and now I’m really walking on very thin financial ice. I’ve got my rent paid up until August 1st so that’s good but I don’t have any padding in case anything goes wrong. This was a gamble but I did it and now I’ll deal with it. It was a calculated risk and I’ve always read that those are what make up success.

I won’t starve to death even if it blows up tomorrow. Many others spend their money on a lot worse things than a cheap car auction. At least I have a chance to sell it again. I don’t think cocaine users get a chance to resell their stuff when they’re done with it. I’ll be fine.

If nothing else it was FUN. The feeling of winning the auction is fun and so was driving the car around the block to see if the engine would fall out. It didn’t. It ran great and it’s a five speed which is always fun to drive. This was a nice little deal and I’m happy with it. I also got some other stuff done today and all around it was well spent. If I can keep myself in this kind of vibe and stay out of the dark shadows I just might pull off my big dreams.

No comments: