Sunday, May 18, 2008

Time Warp Again

Sunday May 18th, 2008 - Milwaukee, WI

Up to Milwaukee today for my monthly jaunt through the time warp that is the sports card show at Gonzaga Hall. Like the car auction in Waukegan it is it’s own world and I am included in the cast of characters. Both places are offbeat, oddball and I love them.

One of the reasons I am so fascinated by both of these places is that certain people are drawn to it just like I am. I only see them at the event and all we talk about is what is at that event whether it be cars or cards. Then we leave and reconvene at the next event.

Some people know my name and some don’t and vice versa. One guy I knew for years through the card shows was Bob Koehler. Bob had the same location at the card show for probably 25 years or more. I first started attending the shows at a different location when I was about 14 and he was around then too. I’d say he was ‘the’ card guy in Milwaukee.

If he wasn’t he was right up there. He allegedly had a ton of stuff hoarded at his house. I always heard he was a millionaire many times over but I never really talked to him about it. I would walk through the card show every month and nod hello and he’d nod back.

As I started to get some notoriety as a comedian and a radio personality in town he was a lot friendlier. He knew my name and I’d already known his because everyone talked of how Bob Koehler would never cut anyone a deal. He always charged top dollar. Always.

I’ve bought and sold and traded countless thousands of sports cards in my life because it is something I enjoy doing and I can’t ever remember ONCE doing any kind of deal with Bob Koehler. Not one. I’d say hello and chat with him but never struck up any business.

At the show today I learned Bob passed away recently. He’d had cancer for a while and I hadn’t seen him for months. They left his table open and had a tribute with photographs for everyone to look at. Then during the show they observed a moment of silence for him.

Then in a few seconds it was right back to wheeling and dealing and trading and all the stuff that’s been going on at these shows since the ‘70s when they started. It really got me thinking about what I want to be known for when my time is over. I want a different vibe.

I didn’t have anything personal against Bob Koehler. I liked him well enough and didn’t have any squabbles or bad blood with him, mainly because we didn’t have any interaction deeper than a hello and some small talk a few times a year. We were never close friends.

It didn’t seem like anyone was really sad that he was gone. They were quiet for the short time they needed to be and then it was right back to business as usual. I kept remembering how I’d always heard he was a millionaire but now it wouldn‘t help him anymore. It sure made me examine my own life all over again. Sure I’d love to be a millionaire too but not at the expense of kindness or passion or humor. I want people to think of me as somebody who was kind and gentle and funny and genuine. I’ve still got some work to do on that.

No comments: