Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Shaking It Up

Tuesday May 27th, 2008 - Lake Villa, IL

Back to work with a vengeance today. This whole weekend was fun but now it’s time to get down to business and make something happen. I’ve been farting around too long and I know it. Fun is fun but time is slipping away. It’s the end of May and the clock is ticking.

Whatever choices I made good and bad have led me to where I am now. I took time to assess my position on many fronts today and decide where I want to go from here. I think the hardest part of all this is keeping myself on a single path to accomplishing my goals.

I’ll start on something and then get sidetracked on something else and then still another project or idea or distraction comes along and takes me off the second path and before too long I’m wandering around in circles with nothing accomplished. That’s happened a lot.

This time of year is the best there is weather wise and I am going to make it a plan to do my best to use this time wisely. It’s probably this period in my life too. I’ve gone through a tough winter getting here but now I’m ready to enjoy the sunshine for a healthy stretch.

I got back out and started walking again today after I’d let it lapse for a couple of days. I was going good there for about a week and then the weekend came and I slacked off. I did feel like I was starting a good groove with it but it sure disappeared quickly. I didn’t want to slide back too far so I thought it was important to get back out and start again so I did.

I also lapsed in my healthy eating quest as well. It only takes a couple of greasy meals to slide back into the abyss and I did exactly that. Why does bad food taste so damn GOOD? I really felt it though and at least I know I screwed up and am back on track once more.

Sodas have been my downfall and that will be a challenge to avoid them but I need to. It felt good to start in a good direction last week and I did feel better in only a few days but I see how it takes even less time to slide back into bad habits. I turned it around again today by going to the Golden Corral and packing as many vegetables down my pipe as I could.

This is a fight and I’m ready for it. Life doesn’t just fall into place by itself. There has to be a plan there on many levels and that plan has to be executed. I have been waffling way too long and need to reshape my plan for where I am NOW. I started to rethink everything and put things in their proper order. I will have to keep doing that over and over forever.

Weeds grow in everyone’s garden and it’s a whole lot easier to pull a few here and there as maintenance than to let them pile up and choke out any productive crops. I am starting to get a plan for the big picture of the rest of my life and I thought about it all day today.

I broke all my projects down into individual categories and made notes on what I think I need to do with each one to keep steady progress going. I hope to keep it all in a workable order by using ‘Stephen King Style’ time management. I will focus on two or three of the projects each day for a specific time and have a plan rather than how I’ve been doing it.

No comments: