Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dental Deja Vu

Wednesday October 29th, 2008 - Milwaukee, WI/Lake Villa, IL

Time to get entrepreneurial. I am running out of time and options and I need to make as much money as I can in the shortest amount of time without breaking any laws. That’s the goal but I need to make a plan on how to do that. Buying a lottery ticket isn’t the answer.

I honestly don’t think that would be as much fun as starting from scratch and building a successful moneymaking enterprise out of nothing. That appeals to me and the challenge of starting at ground zero with no help is deep down the ultimate hunt. That’s the thrill.

The one single thing I’ve had the most success with in my whole life entrepreneurially is my comedy classes. I built that whole idea up from scratch and am still scratching but the actual product is a good one. I know what I’m doing and it’s constantly getting better.

The product has taken a while to develop and now I need to match that with a business plan and parlay this into real money. Up until now I’ve made a few bucks gas money for my time even though I truly enjoyed it and still do. I need to expand my horizons with it.

Uranus Factory Outlet is a great concept and I still love that too but I’m totally starting from less than zero on that project. The classes are different. I’ve experimented for years to get the product to this point and I’m very confident it’s a good one worth every penny.

The smart thing to do with the classes is get them going again and put them in EVERY possible place I can. Comedy clubs are great but the real money will come from locations where this is a whole new concept. Business sales training? Hospitals? Federal prisons?

I don’t care. I know about comedy and everyone likes to laugh whether they laugh at the same things or not. I want my name to be like Dale Carnegie for humor courses. I want to hear people say ‘Very funny - why don’t you take a Dobie Maxwell course?’ I’d love that.

My old radio friend Jimmy Novack came through for me this morning on 102.3 WXLC in Waukegan, IL. He’s doing the morning show now and used to be on with me doing the Mothership Connection show in Kenosha. He was in a position to help me out and he did.

He was kind enough to put me on the show at 7:20 to plug the one day class at Zanies in Vernon Hills this Saturday at noon. He gave me a nice interview and plug and I really did appreciate it. I don’t know if it will draw any people this time but he’ll put me on again.

It’s good to have friends. I’d do that for other people and I have in the past when I had a radio show so it feels especially good when it comes back around. He didn’t have to do it but Jimmy is a super nice guy and he knew it would help me. His karma is very positive.

I sure want mine to be too. Did I blow it in a past life so badly that I am being punished in this one? It sure seems that way sometimes and again I am truly sorry for whatever it is I did to keep getting this much dung blown back in my face. I’m trying to end that storm.

Joey Callahan called me from Philadelphia. He’s a great guy and very supportive and he is going through his comic’s dilemma too. He’s got a family so he had to take a day job to feed them and make sure they have insurance and I don’t fault anyone for that. He’s still a really funny comic and always will be. Once the comedy bug bites most of us stay bitten.

Joey knows how to hustle a comedy buck like we’ve all learned to do and I’d love to get involved in some projects with him. He has a show called ‘The Lads Of Comedy’ which I was part of at Notre Dame University of all places. It’s an Irish themed show and I hope it continues. Joey is one of my very favorite people and he’s thinking entrepreneurial too.

I drove up to Milwaukee today to meet with my baseball card friend Richard Caan. He’s selling cards on Ebay full time and has been offering to show me the ropes for a long time and today was the day. He’s not getting rich but he’s getting by and that’s not a bad thing. He quit his day job ten years ago and hasn’t starved to death yet. He showed me around a little and I learned how the process works. I’m educating myself on a whole new level.

Up until now I didn’t even explore the possibility of doing the things I’m doing now. It never crossed my mind. I was too busy chasing comedy and trying to put out the fires that kept starting like dealing with bank robbery accusations and recovering from car wrecks.

Maybe this is part of getting older or maybe I’m just finally starting to think smarter for a refreshing change. The chase of comedy isn’t what it once was because I have done very well in catching it. I’ve really improved since I started and I can still get a lot better but to only focus on that like I had for so many years is just plain boring to me. I want new fun.

Being an entrepreneur is something that I think will be fun - especially when the money comes. I’m having a blast planning these things out but fun doesn’t pay rent. Money does. I want to make the study of making money a science and then find a way to be good at it.

Money is not happiness and I know that but in the real world it’s a lot of good things. It has been something I’ve never chased until recently and I know if I ever do catch a bunch of it I will end up giving most of it away to help give others like me a little bit of a boost.

On a down note I had to get still more dental work done today. How many holes in the head can one guy have? I didn’t think there were any teeth that were unfilled in my head but my Russian whiz kid dentist Dr. Beyer found two more. The needle was familiar but still not pleasant and the drilling was deep and constant. I sure hope this is it for a while.

It’s more money on the credit card but at least it saved a root canal. He said if I waited a while longer it would have been another $1800 hit. This one was only $337. I was lucky I came as early as I did and I’ll just have to resign myself to knowing my teeth are horrific.

At least I’ve got a few left. I’m doing my best to not look like the majority of the people in Alabama but it’s costing a fortune to do it. That’s why I need to be an entrepreneur so I can pay for these kinds of things in the future and save all the stress I’m having right now.

No comments: