Friday, October 10, 2008

Money Back Guarantee

Friday October 10th, 2008 - Spring Lake, MI/Jackson, TN

I knew today would be a drive-a-thon and it was. 732 miles of boring highway between Spring Lake, MI and Jackson, TN. I left right before 9am and didn’t get into Jackson until 9pm for a 9:30 show. Normally I don’t like to cut it that close but today I knew I would.

My most important stop was at the bank in Petersburg, IL to pick up my cashier’s check for the money I let my friend Max use as collateral on his business loan. He’d promised to get it back to me in October and he made good on his word. He’s one of very few I trust.

Time after time I’ve gotten burned but I’m still a giver and I wish I didn’t need this cash but I totally do. It’s all I’ve got in the world right now and the way the world is going I’ve got more than a lot of people do so I better keep it. I have to pay some bills but I will save the rest of it and use it to finance both Uranus Factory Outlet and my comedy classes too.

Part of this money was willed to me by a comic named George Miller. He was very nice to me and we were friends for years but he was also David Letterman’s friend too. George passed away but had some huge medical bills apparently and Letterman paid all of them.

If it weren’t for that I would have gotten zilch and quite frankly I didn’t expect anything but I sure was grateful for it. George was very funny and I liked him a lot. We hit it off on a gig and stayed friends for years. One New Year’s Eve I was able to get him a nice gig in Chicago that paid him $6500. That’s how much he left me when he died. I was shocked.

I cherished George’s friendship and also that he thought of me. I have never met David Letterman and don’t know how to get in touch with him but if I do I will personally thank him for his generosity because that in turn helped me. The money has already helped Max get his business going and now I’m going to use it to create a course to train comedians.

I met Eddie Brill a while back and he’s the talent booker for the David Letterman show. I briefly told him the story and when I get the product done I’ll contact him again and see if I can send one to Dave and at least thank him for doing what he did. It was very classy.

Eddie Brill is a classy guy too. He was very approachable and is a comic too so he has a feel for how this all works. Whether I ever get on the show or not doesn’t mean much but getting a chance to say thanks does. Sure I’d love to get on but that isn’t my focus here.

All the way down in the car I was making notes and planning out how the course would look and sound and dividing it up into lessons and it made a lot of the time go by quicker than it would have if I’d just sat there doing natural bong hits of fresh dung for 700 miles.

The show tonight was a waste of time. There were 14 people and one of them was a guy with A.D.D. who was walking around and talking the whole time. He distracted everyone onstage and off and I did my 55 minutes and said good night. That was a difficult task but I didn’t worry about it. I’ve been there before. My cash situation concerns me a lot more.

No comments: