Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mothership Magic

Sunday October 12th, 2008 - Jackson, TN/Kenosha, WI

I left Jackson right at midnight and drove to the Funks Grove, IL rest area before I slept for a couple of hours. That was a 407 mile scoot but I wanted to put as many miles behind me as I could so I wouldn’t have to worry about cutting it too close for radio in Kenosha.

I knew this would be another long haul and it really was. My head was bobbing all over the place for about the last 50 miles before I got to the rest area but there wasn’t any other one within reasonable distance so I just kept pushing it. I won’t be surprised if I wind up a statistic someday but driving long distances is part of the job description. We all do this.

I’m putting a major dent in the Gorgeous George book Mike Preston gave me last week and the author goes into that very subject. Many of the wrestlers of that day had accidents because of the same reason. They had to get to the next town and the only way was by car and they had the same problem comedians do. It’s tiring to drive - especially after a show.

The total trip back was 612 miles and I slept for an hour and then headed over to do the Mothership Connection radio show on WLIP in Kenosha with Scott Markus and our new female co-host Lara Schaefer. She’s a friend of Scott’s and does a very nice job so we’re the new three headed monster that hosts the show. I like having the group of us in there.

Tonight’s guests were off the hook. This was the best show we’ve done and it made the 612 mile drive worth it and then some. We’re on from 8-10pm and the first hour we had a Hollywood horror director on named Scott Spiegel who was very energetic and funny but the real treat was in the second hour. We had an author on named Bonnie Mayer. WOW.

It takes a lot to make me tongue tied but she blew us all away. She wrote some books to document her experiences of having regular visits with aliens. Her first was back in 1976 and it occurred in New London, WI. A friend of hers went along too. It was fascinating.

She’s a very nice lady and didn’t sound like a kook at all. If she is I don’t care because I know great radio when I hear it and she was definitely that. She kept us riveted with great stories the whole time she was on and we’ll definitely have her back. This is why I loved the concept for this show when I was asked to do it. Tonight was total fun for two hours.

There is a big upcoming conference in Burlington, WI in two weeks that will feature the topics we talk about on the show and it just so happens I’ll be off and can go experience it and enjoy myself. I think George Noory from Coast to Coast AM is going to be there too.

This is totally becoming a newfound love. I’ve always enjoyed subjects of this nature so doing the show isn’t really work especially when I have two co-hosts like Scott and Lara who get what we’re doing and add to the show rather than just whine about getting paid.

I’m not sure if we’ll ever get paid for the show per se but I would like to find a waterfall of cash somewhere along the way. We’re starting to find our stride and tonight was great.

No comments: