Friday, October 24, 2008

Not So Bad This Time

Friday October 24th, 2008 - Nashville, TN

The whole Nashville experience is way better than it used to be. I’ve never liked it here on a comedy level but the staff and people in town are very friendly and in this economic time income is income so that doesn’t hurt either. The good points far outweigh the bad.

We used to have to stay in an old rickety house across from the club and everyone knew it as ‘the crack house’. The club itself isn’t in the greatest part of town and we were afraid for our lives staying in a leaky hell hole with bars on the doors and windows. It was scary.

The neighborhood has improved a little over the years and there is a brand new group of townhouses a block away from the crack house which is now the Zanies office space. The club now puts the comedians in one of those townhouses which is a major improvement.

My friend Rick Wey came by today and took me out to lunch at a fantastic joint named ‘Arnold’s’. It was packed and the line ran out the door in the rain but it was worth waiting because the food was amazing. I had catfish and a hush puppy and collared greens and the best piece of pecan pie I think I ever ate. It was totally southern and local and I loved it.

Rick is a class act all the way. He’s a funny comic but he has a sales career which is his bread and butter. He’s always been friendly and we’ve worked together whenever I came here over the years. He bought me dinner up in Milwaukee and he paid again today even though I almost wrestled him for the check. It was my turn but he wouldn’t hear of that.

This is the kind of southern hospitality people hear about. People like Rick and the staff at Zanies and most everyone I encounter down here have always been very friendly to me offstage but as audiences these people have never really plugged in to what I do. They are not on my wavelength as a rule and I just have to suck it up and finish out my stage time.

I did a radio interview this afternoon on 97.1 WRQQ with a jock named Mack. I think he did THE best single radio interview I’ve ever had. He knew my bits and was on top of where I was from and what I’ve done and he made it fun and entertaining as well. I want to make sure I mention him because most jocks plow through it . Not Mack. He‘s a pro.

I also finally finished the Gorgeous George book I’ve been reading. His is a fascinating story and he had to endure a lot of people ripping him off. It made my own situation with my comedy classes seem more palatable. I’m not the only one to have to had this happen.

George was an original and in many cases the imitators are the ones who make the cash.
Mancow is a prime example. He’s never been anything but a copycat and whatever is hot is what he imitates. He was a Stern clone but now talk radio is in style so he’s trying that.

Coming up with anything that revolutionizes a business is rare. I wonder if I can pull off a fresh gimmick like Gorgeous George did with the King of Uranus? His timing was right for what he did. What can I do that’s right for the times now? That’s my puzzle to solve.

I have to say I am really enjoying working with David Alan Grier this week. He’s very funny and has been easy to deal with and friendly to everyone. Last time I was here it was a two act show and I opened for Mark Curry from ‘Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper’. He wasn’t mean but wasn’t very gregarious either. He didn’t want me doing more than ten minutes.

It was a waste of time for me to drive down from Chicago to do that and Brian Dorfman was out of town so I didn’t even get to hang out with him. This week it’s totally different. Not only are the accommodations MUCH better but Brian is in town and we hung out for a while today and that’s always fun. Plus I get to do more time and make it worth my trip.

I’m not the opener this week either. There is a local emcee named T.C. Cope who’s also a really good guy. He’s around my age and has been around the block so having a veteran lineup all the way through makes this week a breeze. We’ve all been through this before.

If there’s anyone who could be in the trick bag this week it’s me. I’m the only white guy on the show and also an outsider. Not only am I white I’m from the north and talk too fast for most people down here. I have to really watch myself and choose what I say carefully.

Last night’s audience was predominantly black and I did fine but I could see a few with their arms folded who weren’t going to enjoy me no matter what I did. That’s just how it is. Normally I really like black crowds and they like me too but there is a different way to approach them and the first person that uses the word ‘racist’ I’m going to kick their ass.

Are black and white audiences different? YES. So are northern and southern audiences. And Jewish and gentile audiences. And any number of different things including young or old or male or female or rich or poor or smart or stupid. Comedy is very much a matter of group dynamics and what’s funny for some groups of people just won’t work for others.

T.C. is from here and can bring out local references I can’t touch. He’s very likeable too and is used to this room because he works here all the time. David Alan Grier is a star and the one the people paid to see from his time on ‘In Living Color’ which was a huge show.

I am a no name white boy from the north who isn’t on the marquee and if they decide to turn against me twenty minutes on stage will seem like twenty years in a Turkish prison. I have usually done very well with black crowds but on occasion I have not clicked and it’s pure hell to stand there and not get any laughs from a group who doesn’t want to see me.

That didn’t happen tonight. The first show was about half and half and although most of them weren’t huge laughers they weren’t rude or mean. They enjoyed the show but were a polite quiet audience who weren’t as into it as last night’s group. The late show was work as I felt myself not being able to find their buttons. They were tired and didn’t laugh a lot.

Still, that had nothing to do with anyone’s color. It was late show Friday on a rainy day. It was fun hanging out with David and T.C. and Brian Dorfman between shows and that made my trip worth it. I’ll make a few bucks this week but it was also a networking trip.

No comments: