Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Ten In Tennessee

Saturday October 11th, 2008 - Jackson, TN

As far as the road goes this is a super gig. Other than the fact there were only 14 people at the show last night everything else is very accommodating. If I had to rate this gig on a scale of 1 to 10 I’d have to give it a 10 for reasons only a road comic would understand.

First, it’s VERY easy to find. It’s right off I-40 which is a major highway. The sign can be seen from the road and that makes it even easier. How many times have I had to get off a major highway and wander through a confusing mish-mash maze of unmarked and unlit country back roads trying to find some out of the way hell hole honkytonk? Too many.

Second, the hotel is about a block away and that can be seen from both the highway and the gig itself. I can choose to walk or drive to the gig from the hotel and that’s a choice to make for those comics who like to have a few cocktails. I’m not one of those but there are a lot who are and this gig lets them do that with no potential problems. It’s the perfect fit.

Third, the exit we’re off of has just about every restaurant chain represented that’s ever been a franchise. I think there are some that have closed everywhere else but are still open here for whatever reason. There are fast food and sit down restaurants in every direction.

There are also places like a Best Buy and a Dick’s Sporting Goods and many others that are right here should there be any kind of need while we’re here. If I get bored I can buy a DVD to watch and probably walk over to get it. Everything is very close and open late.

Also, they put us up in a place called The Guesthouse Inn. It’s nicer than a Super 8 or a Motel 6 and those aren’t horrible places. There is a Motel 6 two doors down and they still put us here so that’s always a good sign. It shows they’re thinking of us and I appreciate it very much. Any road dog would. This place costs a few bucks more but it’s a lot better.

My feature act this weekend is a guy named T. Ray out of Louisiana. He has a family to support and is a school teacher by day but does comedy when he can. He’s very funny and we had lunch today at a great buffet joint called Barnhill’s. WOW, what a fantastic meal.

We talked about comedy and he’s originally from New Orleans where comedy has been a tough sell over the years. Like Milwaukee, both towns are located next to water and are not on the way to anywhere. Both towns have people who are born there and die there but never really get out and explore and take risks and that’s never good for comedy crowds.

Back in the ’80s those two towns were very similar because it was difficult to get a club to last much less get started. Milwaukee was late getting it’s first comedy club and so was New Orleans. We talked about that and agreed since we stayed with it we’re both ‘lifers’.

I’m going to drive all night after the show tonight so I’m making my entry early. I hope it’s packed tonight and the club makes money and this gig doesn’t die because it’s got all the perks road comics could ask for. The only thing I don’t like about it is the long drive.

No comments: