Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Sinking Sync

Wednesday September 9th, 2009 - Milwaukee, WI/Salt Lake City, UT

One step forward, next day shot. That’s how it goes more often than not. I didn’t return from WGN until about 5am because The Kidders and I hung out and had a meeting to get on the same page as to where we want to take our theatre show. We needed to do it and it was a lot of fun but by the time I got home I was spent. I almost fell asleep at the wheel.

I was supposed to meet up with the woman I like up in Milwaukee for lunch but I slept right through her call. She’s having her own situation as she just lost her job and needs to find another one for insurance for her and her son. We haven’t seen each other in a while because both of us have other things to attend to and we missed each other today as well.

I did call her back when I woke up and she had a job interview to go to so we said we’d try to hook up next week. Nobody was angry because it’s nobody’s fault. Life just gets in the way sometimes and no matter how well planned things might be it still can go wrong.

Today was one of those days when I didn’t feel in sync no matter what I tried. I packed my things for the trip to Salt Lake City and drove up to Milwaukee to catch my plane that left from Mitchell Field at 4:30pm. On the way I stopped at my post office box looking to see if my bounced check situation had been addressed. What do you think? Take a guess.

Of course it wasn’t taken care of and I could feel black smoke pour out of my ears as it occurred to me that I’m probably never going to see that money. Just like those two other bums who I thought were my friends that still owe me money, I’m getting stiffed here too.

Those situations were a little different but not much. I showed what I thought was faith but turned out to be stupidity. I tried to be nice and ask for my money politely but nobody responded. Now it’s a festering sore spot with each of those two bags of monkey nuts and if I ever see either one of them again they’re going to get a steamy face full of Mr. Lucky.

I now see why the mob whacks people. At least if they get stiffed they have the courtesy to take the stiffers out of the game so nobody else gets left holding the bag like I’ve had to time and time again. Part of it is my naivety that people are basically good and part of it is I like to give people a chance. Neither is prudent and this is all making my heart shrink.

On top of that I got an email offering me a super paying gig next year on the ONE day I already had booked and can’t get out of it. Amazing. I laughed when I saw it because it’s just that kind of day. I could feel the vibe when I got out of bed late and it stayed with me the whole day. After such a good day yesterday I tried to laugh it off but it wasn’t easy.

My plane trip wasn’t much better. I had a three hour wait in Chicago and it didn’t make any sense to fly out of Milwaukee other than I saved $80 and I really need the money. The flight was packed with crying babies and unfriendly flight attendants and I could feel this was not going to be my day so I buried myself in a book and plowed through until we got to Salt Lake City. Then I called the hotel and their shuttle was down. Welcome to reality.

No comments: