Saturday, September 5, 2009

Surviving The Road

Saturday September 5th, 2009 - Pittsburgh, PA

Another day on the road. I always wished I would’ve kept track of every hotel I’ve ever stayed and every restaurant I’ve ever eaten in and every gig I’ve ever done just so I’d have some kind of record to go back and look at now. After a while it all turns into a giant blur.

This weekend was one of countless hundreds. I love the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel and I love the fact that the gig is right in the hotel. That’s always a plus. I had lunch with Jeff Schneider who booked me and owns the club with his brother Keith. We ate at The Olive Garden and it was very good even though Jeff didn’t buy. He’s just not that way.

So many things are variables in the comedy world. One night can be a great gig with the worst of accommodations while the next night can be a five star hotel with a small crowd. Sometimes they feed us and other times they don’t. Some audiences are into it and others are drunk and chatty. It really does take a survival instinct to be able to last on the road.

This particular weekend is very low pressure. I volunteered for it and knew what I’d be in for. There was no guarantee of crowds but I knew I’d have a nice hotel and at least the chance to make a few bucks so I enjoyed the whole experience. Tonight was a fun show.

We had about 35-40 people and they were there to laugh. They were between 30-50 and dressed nicely and I had them from the first ten seconds. We all knew it was a small show but I also know how to perform for an audience after a lifetime of preparation. I didn’t let it bother me and knew I could come back whenever I want so I gave them my very best.

I was scheduled to do 50 minutes but ended up doing about 55 because I liked them and was on a roll at the end. I wanted to pound them hard so they felt like they got their ticket price’s worth and would come back and I did that. I think this room will work eventually.

I’ll basically break even for the weekend but I did get a chance to go up and work out in front of a live audience and I used the opportunity to polish a few bits that I have meant to work on for a while. I had a plan when I went up and usually I don’t so that’s a positive.

Still, what I really want is to work for packed houses in good venues. I want to develop a strong following of people who come specifically to see me and I want to give them the best show they’ve ever seen. Then, I want to shake their hands and thank them for coming and take pictures or sign autographs or whatever else would make their night a smash hit.

I know how much I enjoy good entertainment and if I can provide it for others I’ll feel I accomplished something in life. I’m getting there with my show but I still have a ways to go for the fan base part. Slow weekend or not, 40 people won’t make me a superstar soon.

I’m still out here slugging though. I have a couple of gigs trickling in and I looked at my material file master list today and realized I have so much new stuff to add it’ll take years to squeeze it all in. I have work to do onstage and off and that’s ok with me. I still love it.

1 comment:

JChaseComedy said...

More for your plate. Get the CD cut. You want people to come out to see you, then get your product available so they can listen and share it with others. Get it sold after your shows and also on your website.

Get video of you doing a corporate show too. You need that for meeting planners (and catering folks, they get asked for recommendations for entertainers for conferences) so they can book you. Referrals are really big for the corporate gigs. Get booked to entertain a conference of Meeting Planners and you will be booked with higher paying gigs all year.

One group alone - MPI Meeting Professionals International - has over 24,000 members! Do you know 24,000 comedy bookers? They have several conference meetings a year. Not all 24,000 will be there, but you know at least a 1,000 may be there. Perform in front of a 1,000 bookers and tell me how much business you will get.

The Chicago chapter has over 1,250 members. And you know how many conventions are in Chicago alone. 1,250 potential bookers. Here is the Chicago chapter website http://www.mpicac.org/

Jarek