Saturday, February 5, 2011

Football Forecast

Saturday February 5th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   As a rule, I don’t like having Saturday nights off. I feel I should be working somewhere, as there are a finite number. It’s the money night. This week is different. I enjoyed having the whole day off to sit around and relax. I’ve been hitting it hard and have plenty of work coming up, so this was a day to hang out and rest. It’s like a bye week for a football team.

   Speaking of football, the big day is finally here. What an amazing media fluff circus the Super Bowl is, and I wonder if that’s good or bad. It is only a football game, but nobody’s treating it that way. It’s being heralded as a battle of the ages, and even I’m sick of it all.

   I’m not going to lie, I’m really hoping the Packers win. It doesn’t mean anything as far as the scheme of life goes, and far more people don’t care a lick about the game than do, but in my little corner of the world, it’s the lead story. China couldn’t care less, but I do.

   I have no right to feel any glory, but I will. They play half their games in the same state I was born, and that’s it. I’ve watched them play since I was a kid, and followed their ups and downs, mostly downs - especially in the ’70s and ’80s. By all accounts, I shouldn’t be as into it as I am, but I totally am. I’m going to cheer with all my heart for them to WIN!

   Do I have anything against the Pittsburgh Steelers? No, far from it. Pittsburgh has a big place in my heart as it was the first place I ever went on the road as a comedian. I still go there on occasion, and think they have a rabidly loyal fan base and top shelf organization.

   Mike Tomlin has done a fantastic job as coach, and their defense is downright scary. I’ll be disappointed if the Packers lose, but not angry. The Steelers are there for a reason, and I will absolutely give them their due before the game. The Packers are also solid though.

   I almost don’t want to watch it. It’s more than likely going to be close, and it might just go into overtime. How agonizing would that be? I don’t know if my heart and veins could withstand that. I think my aorta would have a Cheez Whiz backup and I’d die on a couch.

   How tense must it be for the actual teams? They’ve got to be chomping at the bit to take it to the field already. They had two weeks to get ready, and they’re being caged up like a bunch of circus animals on a train. I can’t believe any one of the players sleeps tonight.

     The only thing even remotely close to this that I’ve ever done was being in the finals of the San Francisco Comedy Competition back in 2003. It was three weeks of competition, and the finals was televised on TV in San Francisco. I was a little nervous the day or two before, but I slept fine. The Super Bowl has to be a mind blower. I can’t imagine it all.

   The worst part is, the loser gets NOTHING. No consolation prize, no asterisk in a book of records, nothing. I’ll still love the Packers no matter what happens, I’m hooked for life. But, I have to believe I’ll love them a lot more in the long run if they win tomorrow. I’m a sap and I know it, but it really matters to me who wins. I need to get over that, but I can’t.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: