Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Unforgiving Grind

Saturday February 12th, 2011 - Morgantown, WV/Frankfort, KY

   Up and at ‘em early again, and it’s a harsh reminder of why road life gets to be so much of an unforgiving grind. I haven’t had a run like this in a while, and even though it’s been fun it‘s been a lot of work too. Too many years of it are catching up and taking their toll.

   Today I had to drive 366 miles back the exact same route I drove yesterday to get to the gig in Morgantown, WV. Tim Rowlands and I left an hour earlier, as we are both veterans of the road game and know it’s always better to have a cushion of time to allow for crisis.

   Car trouble is always a distinct possibility, especially with any vehicle I own. A flat tire becomes a crisis depending on how far away from the gig it is, or how close to show time it happens. Engines and transmissions can blow as well, so getting to a town is crucial.

   Tonight was the most important of the three night run because it paid the most. Missing this one would have had the most consequence so we wanted to get there as quickly as we could to avoid putting our payday in jeopardy. Art is one thing, but getting paid is king.

   Tonight’s show was at a beautiful hotel in downtown Frankfort, KY called The Capital Plaza. They do three or four shows a year in their banquet room and apparently it’s been a big hit. They serve an amazing buffet dinner and sell it as a package, which is very smart.

   I think a lot more hotels could and should do shows like this around the country, as this was a major success all around. They sold the place out, and it was an event in a town that in all likelihood wouldn’t be able to support a full time comedy club. It was a perfect fit.

   Tonight we had a third comedian on the bill as an emcee. Her name is Sally Brooks and she’s a lawyer who now lives in Morgantown, WV. Her husband teaches at the University and she had to make the same drive we did. Welcome to comedy, the commute is a killer.

   Sally said she used to live in Chicago and actually opened for me one night at a show in Kenosha, WI several years ago. I totally didn’t remember, and felt like an ass. It all blends together after a while and I told her I hoped I was nice to her and she said I was. Whew.

   I really do try to be nice to everyone, but I totally see how it can be misperceived as it’s a constant battle to focus on what needs to be done before, during and after a show. There are all kinds of things to think about, and sometimes an opening act can read that as being aloof or antisocial. Quite often it’s just a matter of not having time to sit around and visit.

   Sally and Tim did a fine job, and the audience just loved the show. They stood in line to tell us how funny we were, and that’s never a bad thing. These people don’t get to see live comedy shows, and I think it’s important to meet and greet every one of them if possible.

   As much fun as this run was, now it’s over. I have a really long drive back to Toledo to drop Tim off, then I’m back to host the radio show. It never ends. That’s life on the road.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: