Wednesday, February 16, 2011

New Plates Spinning

Tuesday February 15th, 2011 - Kenosha, WI

   I’m getting ready to head back out to sea, and am starting to get moving on getting work done before I go. Nothing is better than a deadline to get things done, and I find I can take care of a lot of things right before I head out for an extended trip. Whatever it takes is ok.

   The best ideas without execution are totally worthless. If I don’t find a way to make the best use of my limited time and get more organized, I’ll not get to half the ideas I’d like to get to before I call it a life. I’m in motion, but not necessarily going the fastest I can go.

   One call I made today was to Eddie Horn Jr. Eddie was one of my comedy students way back when, and he’s loaded with energy and creativity. He makes world class puppets for the fun of it, and has been interested in Uranus Factory Outlet since I mentioned it to him.

   He’s been on my case to work some kind of puppets into the mix, and I totally agree it’s a different angle that would stand out even more. I’ve been meaning to call him, but today was the day and he was overjoyed that I did. He’s been waiting for this, and I’ll find some time on the ship to come up with a few ideas to get this going. This is a must do project.

   I’ve let it sit dormant yet again, and lost any momentum I may have built. I refuse to let the project die, and will force myself to get back in the driver’s seat and get it restarted in the next little while. The key is to have other people ready to work on it while I’m gone.

   I also heard from my web person for the ‘Schlitz Happened!’ project and he worked up a prototype website which looks good. I can see a few changes, but it’s basically the way I pictured it. This is all part of the process, and I’m starting to see some things come to life.

   Tonight was ‘movie night’ at director Mark Gumbinger’s house in Kenosha, WI. I’m in his circle of people to invite, and I really enjoy it. Lou Rugani is usually there too with the person who played his wife in Mark’s last movie ‘Dead Air’, Carol, who’s also a caller to The Mothership Connection radio show on WLIP. It’s a network of Kenosha area friends.

   I actually like Kenosha very much and wouldn’t mind living there even if I had big cash and could live anywhere. The people are very friendly and the location is right in between Chicago and Milwaukee, where I have a lot of other old friends and business connections.

     Mark and I spoke of filming an upcoming comedy show, and trying to sell it to Comedy Central or HBO or anywhere else that would buy it. Stupid me, why haven’t I been trying to do exactly that in the last few years? I know I’m just another white guy comedian in an inexhaustible supply, but if I don’t make the attempt to get seen, I’ll never have a chance.

   I’ve got some new material from working the ships, and if nothing else, my act is WAY tighter than it was before or probably has ever been. I should be working on nailing a nice video to open some doors and get me to that higher level. Again, now I have something to work on between shows on the ship. Lots done today, but I’ll really be busy on that ship.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: