Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Returning To Earth

Monday February 7th, 2011 - Chicago, IL

    Aaron Rodgers gets to go to Disney World and New York City to be on TV with David Letterman. The rest of the Packers get to go to Green Bay for a giant parade and pep rally, then the White House. I have to go back to work to pound out a living. That’s how it is.

   I’ll get to enjoy all the mania for a while, but today it was back to the grind. I had lunch in Kenosha, WI with Mark Gumbinger and Lou Rugani, and we discussed ideas for a film project Mark wants to direct with Lou and myself playing a father and son comedy team.

   Lou is really talented, and it would be great fun to do the project. It wouldn’t be for pay though, and I’ve got enough of those kinds of things going on right now. I’m hoping to be able to squeeze it into my schedule, but with all of us being busy it’s going to be difficult.

   This evening I had to be at Zanies in Chicago to sit in on a beginner comedy class with Bill Gorgo. Bill is a great guy, but our teaching styles are completely different and he has this class in the palm of his hand. He’s very nurturing, but doesn’t tend to crack the whip at all. I’m just the opposite. I like to make sure they get a face full of how it really works.

   Bill brought me in to critique those of the class who wanted to go up on stage and have a fresh set of eyes look at their stuff. I really didn’t want to do that, but he asked. I tried to be nice, which I always do, but I pointed out several things that needed fixing and why it did and they just weren’t ready for that. I felt like an outsider in the classes I originated.

   Those people looked at me like I was the Antichrist and I could feel them recoil when I would bring up valid points. Bill likes to pat on the head, I tend to kick in the ass. I’m not mean spirited, but how else will someone know if they’re not told? This is a real problem.

   Unfortunately, most people on a beginner level want to be coddled and think comedy is easy and minimal effort is required for success. SO not true, but they use class as a social network. I guess that’s fine, but I don’t want those people in my class. I want the few who are willing to dig in and work their way into being comedians. That’s where all the fun is.

   Bill is doing a great job, as the class loves him and wants to pay to keep going under his tutelage. What can I say? Let them do it. He’s teaching at a grade school level, and I teach high school. Eventually, those who will want to take comedy farther will have to discover the truth, and it won’t be pretty. It never is, BUT - the smart ones will be able to handle it.

   After class, I had an invite to see John Leguzamo’s one man show at The Royal George Theater. I know he’s had several, and I wanted to check it out so I can learn something for ‘Schlitz Happened!’. It was $40 a ticket on a Monday night, so I expected a killer show.

   I was very disappointed to see he wasn’t doing much more than I already am. He talked about his life, but I do that too. If this is the standard for one man shows, I’m going to be a big star. I left at intermission, I’d seen enough. At least I could think about the Packers.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: