Friday, February 11, 2011

Morgantown Magic

Friday February 11th, 2011 - Lexington, KY/Morgantown, WV

   Another smoking hot show, this one at the University of West Virginia in Morgantown. My jaded feelings about working for college audiences are beginning to change in a hurry and in a positive way. The last two nights have been unbelievably fun, and I haven’t had a problem connecting with these people in the least. I wonder what the difference has been?

   Even when I was that age, college audiences have been my downfall. I never figured out a way to connect with them, and more often than not my attempts went down in a blaze of piping hot failure with smoldering wreckage everywhere. I knew not to even try anymore.

   As recently as 2003, I had trouble in the San Francisco Comedy Competition whenever a college was on the agenda, while I kicked west coast ass everywhere else. If I would’ve had shows like this back then, I’d have won that competition by ten miles and then some.

   Part of it is the kids come out to see the shows. Both last night and tonight, they came to be entertained, and they weren’t rip roaring drunk when they got there. I saw some beer at the tables, but they kept it under control. That’s not been the case in the past and I’ve had to fight them with a chair and a whip. For whatever reason, these people weren’t like that.

   I also think a part of it was Tom Sobel’s instructions. He really does make sure his gigs are run well, and I’m sure he’s gotten in his car and driven to Morgantown from his office in Louisville and talked with someone in charge himself. That’s how he likes to do things and it pays off in well run shows. Both last night and tonight were great by any standard.

   Another part still is my own evolution as a performer. I’m now the age of these people’s fathers, and I come across as a wacky uncle type. I only talk about very innocuous things, and never preach or talk down to them. I scale my anger way back and go up there to have fun with them. Without excessive alcohol in the mix, that formula is working splendidly.

   We were in a different venue tonight than the last couple of times I was here, and it was a lot smaller. I was a little concerned before the show, but when show time rolled around it was full and they were ready to be entertained. Tim Rowlands did a fantastic job getting them warmed up, and I went up and brought it home. I ended up doing extra time easily.

   Again, this is how comedy should be every night. Not only was the gig top notch, we’re staying at a spectacular place called Hotel Morgan. We each have giant suites, and it feels like we’re in the big time. They treat us like kings, and the whole experience is first class.

   We did have to drive about 340 miles, but the weather was sunny and crisp, and it went quickly because Tim and I were telling road stories the whole way. My Cadillac has been running like a…well…a Cadillac, and we’ve had no problems there. It’s all worked out.

   Tomorrow is supposed to be the gem of the week, as we have a big show in Frankfort at a downtown hotel. It’s going to take a lot to trump these past two nights, but I hope it can.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

1 comment:

VinceSkolny said...

I was at the WVU show last night and agree: it was outstanding.

I'm not sure about Tom Sobel, butI show up at Comedy Caravan two or three times a month and will vouch that there have been improvements made both in the arrangments and respect for the performers.

Anyway, great work last night, but one thing. . .

It's West Virginia University; not University of West Virginia. There are hillbillies that would fight you for that.