Friday, February 18, 2011

Movie Script In Motion

Wednesday February 16th, 2011 - Fox Lake, IL

   More last minute preparation before heading off to the ship tomorrow. I’d be lying like a politician if I said I was looking forward to it, even a little bit. Yes, the weather is warm, but that’s about it. Most of the next eleven days will be a test of my ability to keep myself busy and not dive off the boat due to boredom. I’m going to use it as my personal retreat.

   Life is going well right now. Many of the changes that I thought about, I brought about - or are in the process of doing so. I’m still shaky in some areas, but as a whole I’m starting to make positive strides in many facets of life. Why let ships take my momentum away?

   I’ll make the most of this work as long as I can, and see what evolves. I like working for Carnival, and don’t see myself looking for work on other cruise lines. It’s not the issue of which company I work for, it’s the sea life in general. I still wonder if I‘m cut out for it.

   That’s not the kind of thing I want to be wondering, especially at this age. I’ve paid a lot of dues, and now I’m looking for fun and money as my payoff. The money is nice, but it’s definitely not easy. This is hard work, and I earn every penny I make out here. That’s fine, but at some point I’m going to want to take it easy, at least a little. Life is to be enjoyed.

   I’m going to focus on enjoying these next eleven days, but also knuckling down to work on a system to keep land projects building no matter where I am. I’ve been meeting with a lot of people lately in hopes of delegating my tasks from out here much like a gang leader still runs the gang’s business from prison. If I do it correctly, it won’t matter where I am.

   I made a special point to call Rick Kaempfer today and rekindle the bank robbery movie script that’s been sitting around long enough now. Maybe it was the Packers’ Super Bowl victory or maybe it’s just time, but that project has really been gnawing at my mind lately.

   As painful as it was to live through, it’s a fantastic story and everyone who’s ever heard it has been fascinated. I know I’m too close to it to be objective, so I hired Rick to put his experienced eyes to the story and help make it sellable. He did a fantastic job, and without his help I couldn’t have gotten it this far. Now it’s time to push it over the top and sell it.

   My gut says this is the time to start shopping it, so I will. I wasn’t planning on it with all the other things I’ve got going on right now, but I don’t want to argue with that little inner voice. It always seems to know what it’s doing. I won’t argue, I’ll get it out there ASAP.

   My friend Sheri Johnson is one of the people I’ve been talking to about handling some of the personal manager type tasks I need done, and she suggested she’d like to pass it on to a friend of hers who sold some science fiction movie scripts recently and is doing well.

   What can it hurt? Rick registered our script with whomever he needed to register it and he said I can go ahead and start passing it around to people I know. Consider it passed. It feels good to get that project moving again, and it is. Bring on the sea - I’m ready to sail.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: