Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Dizzy Tizzy Of Busy

Monday October 3rd, 2011 - Libertyville, IL

   It’s a constant struggle, but every day I’m making at least a little more progress working on my various projects. It’s painfully slow and not as steady as I intended, but at least I’m not giving up. I try to work on something every day, and even though I’ve got a long way to go I’ve made significant improvement in the last few months and it needs to continue.

   I have to fight with all my being not to be scattered, and it’s not easy but I’m doing it as well as I ever have. It’s my natural tendency to have nine things going in various states of completion at any one time, but that’s not going to get me anywhere. I need to get at least one or two of these dangling projects done so I can relieve myself of an over full agenda.

   There’s an extremely fine line between an exciting challenge and complete overwhelm, and I’ve been walking it for the last several weeks. I’m trying to pack a whole lot of life into a teeny weeny window of time, and it’s all I can handle to keep myself on a course.

   It’s a great mental and physical exercise, but I better watch myself or I’ll do something stupid and erase this wonderful momentum I’ve been building since my eight day detour in the hospital in June. Worse yet, I’ll end up back in. There‘s a delicate balance to this.

   Right now, I’m working on shrinking down all those boxes I hauled out of storage last month and tossing out everything I haven’t used in at least a year or plan to in the coming one. I’ve hauled away several large loads of trash so far, and that’s great, but there is still a long way to go and I’m going to suck it up and get it finished once and hopefully for all.

   I’m not going to beat myself up about it or do anything else but get it out of the way and move on. It’ll be a huge relief when it’s finally completed, but that will take at least a few more months at the rate I’ve been able to go. It took years to accumulate all of this clutter so why think I can get rid of it all in a day? I could, but I’d be throwing out good stuff too.

   So, here I sit…and sit…and sit some more…dumping out and sorting through box after box and tossing out most of the contents and saving the least amount I can that I think I’ll actually need or want in the next year. It’s not fun, but it is a way to reshuffle my energy.

   I’ve found all kinds of comedy idea notes and notes in general from years ago that I can dust off and use now. I’d totally forgotten about a lot of if not all of this stuff, so that’s the reason I keep going through every box - tedious as it may be. And it is. But it’s necessary.

   That, combined with still trying to walk for exercise every day and eat right and get the King of Uranus idea off the ground and teach comedy classes and get myself booked for comedy work and everything else that comes and goes in life is keeping me on my toes.

   Tonight I taught an introductory comedy class at Improv Playhouse in Libertyville, IL. It was a two hour class and I spent at least that long preparing materials and a lesson plan for it. Nobody sees how much effort this all takes, and nobody cares. These are busy days.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: