Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Monday Night Goofball

Monday October 10th, 2011 - Libertyville, IL

   My days are getting busier and busier, only to be matched and exceeded by my evenings and weekends. I’ve got an action packed schedule in the next month or so, and as much as I enjoy that I have to be careful not to get out of the positive groove I’ve been in recently.

   This is the conflict I knew I‘d have, and now it’s here. I’m feeling a super squeeze as far as my daily schedule goes. I wasn’t able to find time for my daily walk today, and I’m not thrilled about that. I’ve been hitting it pretty hard lately and could use a day off to rest and recover, but I don’t want to make excuses in the future. I simply MUST keep exercising.

   Unfortunately that takes quite a bit of time and effort to not only do the actual excercise, but it also makes me sleep more to recover and that takes time away from my schedule as far as work time for other things go. I have to really juggle to make everything fit, and it’s becoming a daily challenge to plan out what I intend to invest my time in on a given day.

   Today it was preparing to teach a new session of comedy classes in Libertyville, IL that were organized by Improv Playhouse. They’ve been very diligent about plugging the class to their in house mailing list, and we had a solid turnout because of it. I always review all my teaching materials before every class session and look for ways I make them better.

   Bill Gorgo was off and came out to be part of the class as well. He and I have a synergy as teachers, and we love to hang out and talk about the nuts and bolts of comedy whether there are students around or not. It’s good to have people like that in any creative pursuit, and we both know that. We’re students of the game 24-7, but that’s too geekish for most.

   We don’t care, and we’re glad to be able to have someone else that loves to talk comedy as much as we do. We love the process, we love the history, and we also love the teaching aspect or we wouldn’t keep showing up. These students are going to get a major bargain whether they know it or not, but I think they do. We had a very solid first session tonight.

   The clientele of Improv Playhouse is not the same as a Zanies or Harper College and we knew that going in. Most of these people have been on a stage at some point, but it wasn’t in the role of a standup comic. They were actors or improvisers, but that’s not the same.

   Standup comedy has an energy and method all its own, and that’s what Bill and I enjoy. Sometimes new students fight it at first, especially if they’ve been involved in some other form of performing. It’s our job as teachers to show them the difference and offer them an opportunity to learn correct methods so they can avoid the mistakes most newbies make.

   Between this class and Zanies and Harper College, I’ll have more than my hands full so having Bill along for the ride will be totally appreciated. We talk about this stuff when we hang out anyway, so why not put ourselves in a positive position to help others who could benefit from our years of experience? This will be a fun class, but also a chance to make a difference in people’s lives. Missing football games on Monday nights is totally worth it.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: