Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Fun Factor

Sunday October 9th, 2011 - Kenosha, WI

   I sure hope fun counts for something in life, because I’ve been having a lot of it lately. I may not be rich and famous, but dad gum it I’m enjoying the ride - especially in these last several months. Getting diagnosed with diabetes was the wake up call I didn’t know that I needed, but it sure has been a positive in many ways. It got me to appreciate my life more.

   I thought I was grateful before, but having my trouser berries operated on really drove it home with a sledge hammer just how delicate the whole experience of life on this wacked out little cosmic pebble actually is. It’s short, finite and absolutely nothing is guaranteed.

   It’s easy to get disappointed and break stride, and I admit I’ve been there the last couple of days. It wasn’t that diabolical deep dark dungeon of desperate depression like I’ve had so often in the past, this was just a blip on the radar. I really think the dramatic change in my diet and adding regular exercise are the main reasons I’ve been able to stay the course.

   Granted, working in towns like Manitowish Waters, WI and Dubuque, IA weren’t at all where I imagined my dreams of glory would be located, waiting to jump out of a cake like a stripper to make my heart flutter with excitement - but I have to admit I did have a blast on stage doing all three shows and the people who managed to make it out enjoyed it too.

   It didn’t make me rich, and I doubt if one tenth of one percent of those people would be able to pick me out of a police lineup right now only a few days later, but I had fun seeing all the spectacular fall colors and enjoying the sunny warm weather that wouldn’t quit the whole time. Carlos Valencia and I had a lot of laughs, and it was a laid back atmosphere.

   There are a lot of other people plugging away in obscurity at jobs they can’t stand at all. At least my problem isn’t that. I like what I’m doing, and I do it well. I just need to find a way to do it on a bigger scale for higher pay. Looking at it that way doesn’t seem so dark.

   Tonight was a similar situation. I hosted my weekly Mothership Connection paranormal themed radio show on AM 1050 WLIP in Kenosha, WI and that was also nothing but fun. I doubt if many were listening, but that’s ok. I know those who did received the very best we could give them - an entertaining and informative program packed with solid guests.

   One was more interesting than the next, and the four hours went by so fast it seemed as if we had just gotten started by the time it was over. I hosted a show I would listen to, and that makes it easy. My co-host Shelley does a fantastic job of making sure guests know of their interview times, and she also updates our site at www.themothershipconnection.net.

    Then there’s the cheery cherry high atop the Sunday sundae and that’s the fact both my beloved home state sports teams the Brewers and Packers won games today. None of this means anything, but all of it means everything. Life is supposed to be fun, and despite all the things that may not be going exactly as I want them to, the things I’m choosing to put my time into are at least paying off in satisfaction. Too bad bills can’t be paid with that.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: