Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Desserting The Desert

Monday April 16th, 2012 – Tucson, AZ

   My last day in Tucson, and I’m spending it with mixed emotions. Part of me enjoys it here and would move here tomorrow if I had even half a reason to. I loved it when I was coming here on a semi regular basis when Jerry Agar lived here, and I’m sure I could love it again. I like the vibe.

   The winters are spectacular, even though summer can be like the surface of the sun and as long and brutal as winters can be in the Snow Belt. It’s a matter of picking one’s poison, and I happen to prefer burning to death over freezing. I also find the people to be friendly, and all in all I have always enjoyed my time in Tucson. Phoenix is a filthy hell hole, but Tucson I’ll take. Go figure.

   I’m sure if I did move here, I’d find a way to make a living. There are few if any local comics with as much experience as me, and I’m sure I’d get most of the private gigs both from Laffs or anywhere else in town. Word would spread, and I’d network and make myself known locally.

   I’m sure I’d also find my way on the radio somehow, and I even have a head start as there is a group of stations in town owned by Journal Broadcasting out of Milwaukee. That’s where Jerry Agar worked, and I know James T. Harris a little who used to work at WTMJ in Milwaukee. He is a fantastic talk show host and a very nice guy too, and he’s just relocated here pretty recently.

   If I did just pack up and move, I could hit the ground running and I’ll bet I could be working in no time. I’d get a cheap apartment and start pounding the pavement for gigs, which would not be hard to find. Laffs likes me, and I like them. If nothing else, I’m sure I could be the house emcee.

   In the past, this might have been a workable plan. I have several contacts out west already, and have always done well out this way. I could still work in Salt Lake City, and L.A. is a day’s drive if I needed to go there. I don’t know the Phoenix scene at all, but I’m sure I could make my mark on it if I went up there and poked around a little. I could also set up shop in a lot more new areas.

   I like the west a lot, even though the towns are a whole lot farther apart. Gas prices are slightly lower, but still not cheap and for the road comic the profits get eaten up quickly. Road comedy in general is getting harder and harder, and that’s not a mirage in the dessert. I haven’t got a hint of a doubt I’d be able to carve out a living if I moved to Tucson or a lot of other places, but I won’t.

   It’s just not smart business right now. I’ve had my chances to live anywhere I wanted, and even a few places I didn’t. I’m glad I got the experience, and now nothing scares me about packing up and moving at a moment’s notice to anywhere in North America. The fear factor is not an issue.

   What is an issue is age and whether or not I’ll get a payoff for the risk I took of chasing my big dream all these years. Yes, I could probably start over in Tucson and in a year be doing decently. I could do that a lot of places, like I did in Reno and Salt Lake City. I’ve proved I can relocate to virtually anywhere and not starve to death. Where I’m living now is where I need to drop anchor for now. I’ve got too much invested in it to chase any more wild geese. This was a vacation, and a fun one at that - but it’s time to get back home and get to work. My future is depending on it.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

2 comments:

Paul Merklein said...

Dobie - If you're getting fed up with the midwest, you really should move to Tucson. Location is everything, and a change of scenery can completely change your life & career. I know bacause I used to live in Milwaukee, and I moved to DC three years ago. It was scary at first, but personally & professionally it's the best move I ever made.

Dobie Maxwell said...

Thanks Paul! I love DC. Great comedy crowds there. The club I used to work at closed, but I always loved it there.