Friday, April 6, 2012

Windfall Wisdom

Wednesday April 4th, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

   I sure wish life didn’t always have to boil down to money, but unfortunately it does. We are all slaves to it in some way or another, and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Is that fair? Not at all, but what is fair in this world? The ‘golden rule’ really is those who have it make the rules.

   On paper, communism sounds like a fantastic arrangement. Everybody gets to share everything in equal proportions, and we all ride off into the sunset together to live happily ever after without a care in the world. Wouldn’t that be nice? Sure - then the alarm would go off and we’d wake up.

   All I’m looking for is a chance to make enough of it to have a nice life. Is that too much to ask? I’d like to be able to do what I want, when I want to do it and not have to worry about where any of my next meals are coming from or where I’m going to sleep on a given night. I live modestly.

   I’ve actually attained that lifestyle several times throughout my life; I just haven’t been able to maintain it for as long as I’d like. I have simple needs, and it wouldn’t take all that much to keep me happy as a clam for the rest of my life. I wish the universe would see that, and write a check.

   I joke around a lot about what I’d do if I won the big lottery, but I don’t think most of us would be prepared for that. Also, like communism, it sounds great on paper but I see trouble brewing on the horizon there too. What made me think of this is the recent gigantic lottery jackpot drawing.

   This was the single biggest payoff in lottery history, and now it looks like there will be an even bigger fight over one of the three winning tickets. Apparently, a McDonald’s employee went out to buy some tickets on behalf of her coworkers. She also bought some for herself, and is arguing that the winning ticket was among those she bought for herself and not in the ones for the group.

   I also read where she hid the winning ticket somewhere inside the McDonald’s restaurant and only she knows where it is. How funny is that? I can picture a mad scavenger hunt at 3am where the building gets ripped to shreds by people looking for that ticket. This has movie script written all over it, and I wouldn’t doubt if someone is already working on it. And the story isn’t over yet.

   I’m sure there will be all kinds of ugly twists and turns and lawsuits and at a certain point all of the people involved will wish the whole thing never happened in the first place. I’ll bet there’s an ugly tension filled vibe around that McDonald’s, and I’d hate to have to go there as a customer.

   I think for anyone to truly experience wealth in a positive way, there has to be extensive mental preparation done first. Like anything else, it’s a mindset. It’s not just a full bank account ready to be squandered frivolously on shallow baubles and trinkets; it’s a bigger picture plan on how to be happy and in turn share that wealth to help others as well. To me, that’s what wealth is all about.

   I don’t know if the rest of the world shares my opinion on that, but that’s what I think. I would not want to have to go through what those people at the McDonald’s are about to experience. I’m going to start preparing more in my head so I’m ready when I do get a windfall. I’m claiming it.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: