Friday, April 27, 2012

Getting Up To Get Down

Thursday April 26th, 2012 – Milwaukee, WI/Madison, WI/Niles, IL

   As the song from the ‘70s by Brass Construction says - ‘You got to get UP to get down.’ I need to find a way to make something good happen, and I won’t be able to get that done sitting on any couches. Action is needed. I have to go rattle some cages and see who I can find to help me do it.

   Today I had a full day of cage rattling, starting extra early with breakfast at Miss Katie’s Diner in Milwaukee with my friend Lynn Miner. Lynn was a student at my comedy class years ago, but I’ve learned way more from him than he has from me. He’s always been willing to offer his help.

   Lynn used to be affiliated with Marquette University, but I’m not sure of the exact title he had. I know he was a bigwig, as whenever I’d visit him there the people at the reception desk jumped up to do whatever he said whenever he said it. It’s good to have friends in high places, and Lynn is definitely one. What’s even better is that he doesn’t act like a big shot. He’s just a regular guy.

   Another big shot with Marquette ties I met through Lynn is Jim Peck. Jim lived in Los Angeles for years and hosted quite a few network game shows. That’s a lot harder than it sounds, and Jim is a world class broadcaster. Not only is he a total pro at what he does, he’s about as quick witted and funny off the cuff as it gets. He’s got a deadpan comic delivery that cracks me up every time.

   Jim happened to be having breakfast at Miss Katie’s and came over to join Lynn and me while we were brainstorming ideas. Jim still does radio in Milwaukee on WTMJ, and both of them had some helpful ideas of what I might want to do to help get off the road and back myself up with a source of income that doesn’t come from comedy clubs. These are two contacts to value highly.

   Actually, I have more quality contacts than I think. I tend to not be one to ask for favors, and if I like someone I like them for who they are and not for what they can do for me. I don’t think I’d be overstepping my bounds to ask my contacts for a hand. People ask me for help constantly, and most times I’ll do whatever I can without thinking twice. Now it’s my turn to get some in return.

   After breakfast I drove to Madison, WI for an appointment I had with an account executive for a radio station. I’m still interested in developing a market between the four city squared circle of Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and Rockford and Madison is my weakest link. I don’t have a ton of high powered connections there yet, but I really think it could be developed as a solid market.

   I’ve never been a hit with the college crowd anywhere, but I’ve found there to be a lot of smart people in Madison who aren’t of college age that love what I do. They’re not really being served right now, and I want to secure new venues and produce some comedy shows there later this fall.

   If nothing else, I made another connection for future reference. I think the meeting went pretty well, even though I don’t know if the guy took me seriously. We’ll see, but at least I took it upon myself to take action and make a connection. I want Madison to be a place I work in the future.

   Tonight I hung out at Marc Schultz’s house for dinner and watched the NFL draft. We talked a lot more about comedy than football, and he’s also someone that has always been in my corner in a time of need. Not everyone hates my guts, and those are the people I need to connect with now.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: