Monday, April 30, 2012

Passion Without Payment

Monday April 30th, 2012 – Fox Lake, IL

   I found more passion projects to goof around with today, even though none of these are paying any immediate financial dividends either. Money has never been such a crucial issue as it is now, and it does take focus off all the fun I should be having. I am having some, but I feel distracted.

   Still, I was awakened by my usual early Monday morning phone call from Stone and Double T on WXRX in Rockford, IL. They have me on every Monday, and I try to have at least some kind of prepared piece ready to go. They don’t have to have me on, and I don’t have to do it. But I do.

   Why? I like those guys for one, but that’s not a good enough reason. When I really boil it down it’s just a glorified weekly ego massage. Actually, that’s rather pathetic on my part. It’s flattering to be asked, and those guys are great – but it’s not ever going to be a career builder. It’s just not.

   I’ve been on their show at least 50 times through the years, and I don’t think I’ve ever had even ONE single solitary soul come see me perform, buy a CD or even send me an email to say they’d heard me on the station. Ever. That’s not smart business, yet I still go on every week. Am I nuts?

   That would be rather difficult to dispute after stating the facts. If Bob and Tom in Indianapolis would have me on as often as Stone and Double T, I’m sure I’d be at least regionally well known by now. They’re on in about 200 markets. Stone and Double T are on in Rockford - and that’s it.

   I have nothing against Rockford, and I truly like Stone and Double T as people. They’re nice to me, and I appreciate it.  Bob and Tom had me physically thrown out of their studio and then their building. Then they had me kicked off their live tour which paid great money and would’ve been a huge boost for both my bank account and fan base. But they don’t like me, so I’m off their list.

   Unfortunately, from a business standpoint being a nice person means less than nothing. I could be a total wank pole, but if I could pack rooms I’d be back on Bob and Tom in a minute. I’d also get to work all the Funny Bones who won’t touch me now because they’re apparently honked off about a perceived line I crossed with a blog I wrote more than a year ago. Petty? Unfair? Uh huh.

   That’s too bad for me. LIFE is petty and unfair, and until I find a way to go around the insanity of it all, I have to keep swallowing bitter pills and press forward. Those guys could help me now, but they choose to ignore me completely. They have that power. Stone and Double T don’t have much if any power, but they choose to help me however they can. Go figure. It’s a crazy world.

   The nice guy in me would continue to be on with Stone and Double T as long as they continue to have me. It doesn’t hurt anyone, and it really is fun. They treat me great, even though I’ve not gotten any positive feedback from listeners or one gig from it. Business wise, it just doesn’t help.

   The other project I worked on today was The Unshow podcast with Jeff Schneider. That might have a chance to turn a buck, but there are no guarantees. I know we have interesting content, but how are we going to get the word out? We are heard nightly on www.PKNRadio.com  at 5:30pm Central Time, and have a weekend replay. It’s a start, but passion needs to get paid and pronto.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: