Monday, April 16, 2012

Great Times, Greater People

Sunday April 15th, 2012 – Tucson, AZ

   If there’s a more pleasant way to spend an off day between shows, I’d sure like to know what it is. My flight home isn’t until Tuesday morning, so I have a couple of free days to experience the charms of Tucson, which are many. A major one is the weather. Today’s was absolutely perfect.

   It rained pretty hard yesterday, and that’s been typical for whenever I’ve visited. It barely rains at all here, but of course when Mr. Lucky shows up it’s a major cloudburst. One of the first times I came they had storms so bad they were closing highways. I’d never seen rain pound like that.

   There was nothing but pure sunshine today, and that made it extra fun as I played nine holes of golf for the first time in I don’t know how long. I can’t remember the last time I picked up a golf club, other than to try to protect myself against a crazy Rottweiler I thought was going to attack.

   The dog didn’t attack after all, so thankfully I didn’t have to use the club. But before that I’m at a loss to recall the last time I used one to hit a golf ball. My friends Chuck and Wendy Sweet and Chuck’s son Cody asked me to tag along with them today and of course I couldn’t pass that up.

   I’ve known Chuck and Wendy for years, as Wendy used to be a part of the morning show with Jerry Agar when he was here. Chuck was a bigwig in the suburb of Oro Valley where all of them lived, and they became friends. I don’t think I’ve ever met nicer people anywhere, and they have always been huge supporters of my comedy. I don’t work here often, but when I do they see me.

   They were kind enough to show up again last night, and asked if I wanted to join them for golf today. How could I say no? It was a fun little pitch and putt course, so the pressure was off to put the game face on. This was just for fun, and we had a ton of it. It couldn’t have been a better day.

   Wendy is originally from Libertyville, IL and moved to Arizona to do radio. She’s also one of the most talented singers I’ve ever heard, and belts out rocking versions of the national anthem at all kinds of sporting events out here. There’s no reason she still shouldn’t be on the radio as well, but like most of us who have tried to scale that slippery slope she was vaporized by a radio idiot.

   Chuck is from Minnesota originally, and the term ‘Minnesota Nice’ was probably written with him in mind. Between the two of them, there just aren’t sweeter people anywhere and their name is a perfect fit. Having a chance to spend the afternoon golfing and laughing was a fantastic treat.

   Tonight I went back to Laffs to support a special show called ‘The Evolution Of Comedy’ put on by the guys who opened for me this week. Jason Resler was the feature act for me, but he’s an outstanding headliner in his own right. He closed the show and Ian Harris who is a veteran comic and marketer of the tour joined him along with Maurice Northup. I liked working with all three.

   I know how hard it is to pack a room, and this is a tour they’re trying to put together so I had to show up and support. They worked really hard on this and it came off very well. Check them out at www.theevolutionofcomedy.com. Days like this prove to me there ARE good people after all.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: