Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dodging Detractors

Monday April 2nd, 2012 – Niles, IL/Chicago, IL

   Up and at ‘em this morning. And early. No time for sympathy or sloth. I have to get myself out of this delicate predicament I’m in, and I can only do that by going around those who are against me at the moment. None of those people care if I live or die, so I might as well get busy living.

   I’m sure I’m not the first person who has been in a jam like this, but it does feel rather lonely to have to go it alone. I seem to have the scarlet letter right now, but that would change in about ten seconds or less if I should manage to hit on anything that would ever be a potential money draw.

   If the King of Uranus became the next Larry The Cable Guy, every one of the people who ever blew me off would come lining up to be my pal like hungry horse flies to a steamy fresh heap of moose poo. But I wouldn’t need them then, so what’s the point? I need to make it happen now.

   The good thing is, this is a big world and there are a lot of possibilities. It might be more than a bit inconvenient to have to go around people, but it’s not like I haven’t done it before. I was able to survive, and I will again. But it’s all so stupid and unnecessary in my opinion. What a waste.

   I’m not going to deny the fact that some of the blame lies with me. It absolutely does, but I also think the punishment I’m receiving WAY outdoes the perceived crime. That doesn’t matter. I am in the dog house, and people tend to have long memories in situations like this. Time to move on.

   There are still a lot of other clubs where I’m very much welcome. My problem is, I don’t know how hungry I am to have to keep chasing the work. A combination of getting older and watching the internet change the entire way humans exist and interact makes me want to change directions.

   The thrill of travel has long passed, and I really do like the area where I’m living. If I were able to put a respectable living together and never have to go outside of the squared circle of Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison and Rockford, at this time in my life I’d be fine with that. It sounds peachy.

   The internet exists for everyone, and won’t be leaving any time soon. I can get my road ya yas by making videos and putting them up on You Tube for the world to see. If twenty people or less  happen to see them, it’s still way better than driving twelve hours or more to do my live show in front of them live like I’ve done so many times before. That ship has sailed, and I’m done with it.

   The live performing part will always be fun, but I can still get that close to home. This morning I did the Stone and Double T show on WXRX ‘The X’ in Rockford, IL and it was a lot of fun as it always is. Those guys are great, and I feel no pressure whatsoever. That’s how it should always be, but it isn’t. I’ll enjoy my time with them, even if I have to scour up a day job to earn a living.

   I also recorded three more episodes of ‘The Unshow’ with Jeff Schneider. That project is going very well actually, and it could lead to something at some point. We’re now on five days a week at www.PKNRadio.com at 5:30pm Central Time and are steadily gaining listeners. Who knows where this will lead, but I could see a living being made from this. I’m not out of bullets just yet.

Posted via email from Dobie Maxwell's "Dented Can" Diary

No comments: