Saturday, June 28, 2008

Catch 22

Friday June 27th, 2008 - Wausau, WI

The thrill is gone. I never thought I’d say this but the thrill of hitting the road has finally been beaten out of me. It took a lifetime to do it but it’s finally dead. I’m glad I followed my wanderlust all these years but now traveling is just a chore. I found out for sure today.

I’ve been keeping it closer to home lately for many reasons, gas prices probably the big one. It’s getting harder and harder to turn a buck lately and I’ve been most everywhere so the ‘first time factor’ isn’t there either. Many times I’d take a gig in a place I’d never been to just so I could explore some new territory. There aren’t many of those places left now.

Today I drove 267 miles to Wausau, WI. There’s a gig in the Midway Motor Lodge and it’s been here for years. I’ve done it several times and every time I’m here there’s a totally new bar manager and host and the show can go either way. I’ve had some hot shows here and some hellish ones too. This isn’t a career maker but it does pay a bill when I need to.

We had about 22 people tonight even though the hotel was packed. There is a nice pool and it was packed with kids and families having some big reunion type party. They didn’t come to the show though and it was mighty quiet in the lounge. That takes the fun away.

To make it worse we’re right in between Minneapolis and Milwaukee and the Brewers were playing the Twins so that took people away from the show as well. It’s uncanny how I can manage to be in a place when a huge sporting event is also in town. Not that that’s a huge one but it doesn’t happen often and there was a lot of interest from the people here.

The other comics were good guys but a little on the green and naïve side. They both had visions of grandeur and were talking about how they were going to be purists and I had to laugh because I was the same way until enough shows like this in lounges with 22 people in the summer slowly squeezed it out of me. Now I realize I’m just here for the paycheck.

I still love performing and always will. I gave the 22 people their money’s worth but the process of being in the position to do it is getting to be way old. Spending the day in a car that may or may not make it and paying over $4 a gallon for gas doesn’t make it worth it.

I got my check after the show and thanked the staff who won’t be here if and when I am ever back here again. I went back to my room and did a crossword puzzle and I just knew this part of my life is rapidly coming to a close. I can feel a need to move on to a new life.

I guess athletes feel like this when it’s time to quit. They say they just know it and that’s what I’m feeling now. I had a great run as a road dog and experienced more in those years than most regular people would get to do in ten lifetimes but now I want to be regular too.

I love living in the Chicago area and wouldn’t mind just settling there. I could still do as much comedy as is in the area and maybe even here again too but the thought of doing the road full time and playing in lounges in front of 22 people is getting older just like I am.

No comments: