Saturday, June 28, 2008

Not Much Longer

Saturday June 28, 2008 – Duluth, MN

Another 243 mile drive I wasn’t thrilled about making. The weather made it a challenge because there were some bad storms but then it would be sunny ten minutes later. It was a constant back and forth struggle the whole way and when it stormed it was extra nasty.

My little roller skate Tercel was blowing all over the road so a few times I just pulled it over until the monsoon stopped and then started driving again. This one only came with a single windshield wiper but at least it’s on the driver’s side. I never know what surprises I will get from the auction until I’m out on the road somewhere. It keeps me on my toes.

This drive was like my life in a nutshell. The sunny parts were very enjoyable but when the stormy parts came I questioned my very existence. There was a very stark contrast of ups and downs today and it made me even more assured my decision to switch directions to something else is the right one. I’m not excited about doing road gigs like I used to be.

Duluth is a nice town and I’ve always enjoyed playing here. It’s surprisingly pretty here with hills and trees and water scenery on Lake Superior. I haven’t been here without a lot of snow on the ground and it was even nicer with the weather like it was. The storms had all passed by the time I pulled into town and found the Holiday Inn where I’d be staying.

The show tonight was in an old Irish Pub right downtown that had a spare room that has a lot of charm and character in it. Unfortunately tonight it didn’t have a lot of people in it to enjoy it all. They’ve been doing comedy about a year and apparently have done ok but of course the summer time is death in the north because nobody wants to be inside at all.

I can’t say I blame them. I don’t want to be inside either. We had a long ugly winter for the first time in several years and I can totally relate to people wanting to fish or swim or barbecue or camp or whatever else there is to do that’s not sitting down watching a show.

There were 35 people who did show up and they were pretty tight assed if you ask me. I wanted to really give them a good show since I already had to make the drive and had my nap and was well rested but they just sat and stared at all of us. I felt like I wasted my trip but I still hung in there and did my time and even threw in some new bits I was polishing.

The economics of this run is not in my favor at all. Between gas and food and wear and tear on my car and even more so my soul I lost out this weekend. I am grateful for the gig in the summer when work is scarce but I know in my heart this is not my future anymore.

One thing I did do is use the time in the car as a mobile office. I planned out my classes for the next year and came up with 24 articles I need to write for a newsletter and also did some work on Uranus by planning out what products I think will be the best to sell first.

I could have done that at home without having to fight storms and 35 Minnesotans who didn’t feel like laughing or buying anything after the show. I’m getting the message very clearly and I’m not fighting it. My life as I know it is about to evolve in a new direction.

No comments: