Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reshuffle The Deck

Wednesday June 18th, 2008 - Chicago, IL

Back to Earth today from the Mothership, Uranus and hell. I was really bumming out at the thought of not selling out the house last night but there was a lot of good logic thrown around in emails by many of the parties involved and it calmed me down at least a little.

I have to remember I’m not building my whole life over - it’s just this particular project. I can’t expect a week of packed houses at Zanies to undo all the stupid mistakes and nasty breaks I’ve had thrown at me for a lifetime. It would be nice to think I could get paid back for everything in one fell swoop but that’s never going to happen so I need to accept that.

It’s still hard to swallow though but I’m working on it. I got up today and looked around at all the papers and clothes and receipts piling up and realized it’s time for another spring cleaning. Wait a minute, I didn’t even do the first one yet and it’s already summer. I spent some time sorting things into their proper piles and trying to see what I could throw out.

This is where time management kills me. I wanted to get walk in but I didn’t because of my time cleaning up around the house. Then I got a call from Bill Gorgo and we met for a while to get caught up on teaching comedy writing classes again in the fall. We both want to and now we need to find someone to be an administrator type to help us with sign ups.

I wanted to get into the city before traffic made it impossible and I did it. It’s a lot more relaxed if I don’t have to do hits off the exhaust pipe of the pickle truck in front of me for two and a half hours. It was much better to come in and meet with Bill and then go down and pick up Jerry for the show. Neither one of us expected much so we were prepared.

We had a nice dinner before the show and relaxed and talked about where this project is headed. Last night didn’t suck no matter how bummed out I was. It was great for a typical Tuesday in the summer. Tonight had even a few less people but those that came loved it.

Ken, Tim and I all agreed these people were a much better audience and we were a little more encouraged than after last night. We signed autographs again and sold a few cds and did what we were supposed to do. Nobody complained and word will get out on us soon.

It’s not going to be Carnegie Hall but the rest of the week should be ok. We’re building a show but there were again several people who came up and said ‘I listen EVERY week and I love you guys!’ That’s what we wanted to hear and tonight we heard it many times.

I also got word today that the Mothership Connection radio show in Kenosha will be at night starting sooner than later. Our co-host Stu has too much other stuff on his plate so I will now be the one driving the show. I need to learn to run the system but I can do that.

Didn’t do anything on Uranus today but I did talk to my friend Tom Orlando who came out to the comedy show. Tom is going to be a real asset to me on many levels and we are formulating ideas on how to make it all come to life. Today was a day for restarting work.

No comments: